What makes the perfect road

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What sort of features would a road need to have to be on your list of perfect roads?

For me I like some nice sweeping bends with wide run off areas in case you overcook it. Scenery is also a bit of a plus but the ability to see what is coming in the other direction is big plus and to be able to do this from as far back as possible.:)

So what is your idea of a perfect road for a spirited drive?

This a tough one really....
there are sooo many brilliant driving roads already and I quite like that they are a bit rough...

Buttertubs pass for example up north and the horseshoe pass in wales.....

but really, you've got to have the right car to do the job as well ;)

I don't need to be driving fast to have an enjoyable drive. Any twisty road will give sufficient enjoyment to a driver without the speed limit becoming an issue!;)

little or no traffic, pretty smooth, some nice turns and bends and a few hills wouldn't damage it. The gravel can be a lot fun to if you know how to drive in it and have got the right car...

One that is perfectly flat, so that I'm not weaving down the road avoiding dips and potholes. Or, for that matter, cursing the underlying structure of the road for being "lumpy".

I don't need to be driving fast to have an enjoyable drive. Any twisty road will give sufficient enjoyment to a driver without the speed limit becoming an issue!;)

This is why I liked the 1.2L VW Polo courtesy car I had. On a twisty road you can rag the nuts off it, and never break 60 between bends.

:edit: The novelty did wear off pretty rapidly I admit...

Your quite right. The faster the car the less opportunity to actually rag the nuts off it on a public road without being dangerous. The RS4 was a good balance of handling and being able to ring its neck to the redline. The C63 was good because you had to balance the throttle as it was tail happy. The RS6 however is just a sledgehammer to crack a nut for want of a better description. You just can't open it up anywhere without doing silly speeds in a matter of seconds.