What is the worst noise your car has ever made?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
For me the worst noise ever had to be the sound of a con rod going through the sump (and right through the exhaust downpipe which is made of iron).

My second worst noise was the metal snap and grinding noise of a brake disk snapping as I started braking hard.

The most frightening noise was a spark plug popping out. It made a big bang, I lost compression on 1 cylinder and it sounded like the engine had been shot. Thankfully a new spark plug fixed it. (Must remember to tighten them up in future.)

What about you? Whats the worst noise your car has ever made and what were the implications of it?

I haven't experience any worse noise coming from my car yet,because every time i hear a little noise coming from my car, i will check where is the source of it and bring it to the mechanic to have a look.

Maybe this is the worst noise that i had encounter,that is i used up my brake pad and grinding sound of the disk brake.

I once heard a dog go under a car...

... :/

Frankly thats totally not mechanically orientated, but its the worst sound I've heard.

Wasnt me driving by the by, we were in Barbados in a thing with no doors... :/

oh god the towing hook thingy is right underneath the bumber and sticks out about an inch or two, i was rolling up a kirb (that was in front of the car) when i heard this very loud crunch!

i thought my bumber had just got mashed by the kirb but it was the bloody towing hook scared me to death! now i dont tend to park at the ends in car parks :lol:

When I had my exhaust fitted, I needed the bumper modifying slightly so it would fit...the sound of somebody cutting a piece of my car...ouch! I didn't wanna watch! Other than that, I haven't experienced any bad sounds.

skidding into a roundabout. going over the kerb smashing up 3 alloys and blowing out 3 tyres. that was rather scary . and the worst part i was only doing around 30 at the time. it was wet and slipped on loose chips.
Did manage to control the car through the 1st half of the roundabout but couldnt get it to go the other way. £700 to fix up. and no bugger stopped to help.
week later a wagon driver did the exact same but on a much bigger scale

A little necro of old threads here. :)
When i bought my car the exhaust were installed too close to the torsio bars. At 5000rpm the exhaust would rapidly hit the torsio bars sending the worst and highest drone i ever heard into the cars cabin.
The first time it happened i nearly #!#!#!#!ted my pants, sounded like a electric hammer directly on the carbody. xD

60mph collision into engine bay of car which emerged from T junction and then stopped in my path.

I very much doubt anyone can trump that one :blink:

I can only recall a rod being vented through the block of the engine whilst racing, continued until it seized, crank was bent. I was vying for a podium when that happened, sometimes you keep going until the car stops or get black flagged!

was driving the mrs rover 214 down the a50 going to manchester airport the engine going bang at 70mph the pistons when through the block and covered the dual carriage way in white smoke

Jesus! I sure hope you were okay! Where abouts did this happen? Anywhere near us?

24 June 2009. North Bucks. 'Walked' away with nothing more than soft tissue damage to right foot and a lot of seatbelt and airbag bruising from a physical point of view. Mentally it cost me 18 months off work, wound up very fearful of crowded places. Strange but true.

All mended now tho and other party has finally paid out !!

24 June 2009. North Bucks. 'Walked' away with nothing more than soft tissue damage to right foot and a lot of seatbelt and airbag bruising from a physical point of view. Mentally it cost me 18 months off work, wound up very fearful of crowded places. Strange but true.

All mended now tho and other party has finally paid out !!

I really wasn't thinking... My entire sentence didn't make sense. Some how I re worded everything. I should have said any one else in the car with you? Seriously retarded moment....

I'm glad nothing majorly painful physically, but it is very odd how these things can mess with your mind.

My older brother had a crash pulling out a junction around February this year. He pulled out from a junction on a blind bend, and a van was coming, due to it being blind, and the van drivers drivers side light not working, he didn't see him, pulled out and whack! took him 2 weeks to brave a car again. That was at around 60mph too. Luckily the Van and my brothers cars needed minor work and no premiums to pay out for!

Mine was a Cat A write off lol. No front left on it. Roof bent, floorpan bent etc. Total wreck. No way I'd have survived in something flimsy.

Air ambulance attended, about six police cars etc. - big stuff indeed.

Last edited:
Mine was a Cat A write off lol. No front left on it. Roof bent, floorpan bent etc. Total wreck. No way I'd have survived in something flimsy.

Air ambulance attended, about six police cars etc. - big stuff indeed.

Oh my god... What about the other guy?

^ ^ ^ She was extremely bloody lucky that I managed to hit the engine bay rather than the passenger cell. They all got away with no more than some minor cuts from flying glass ! ! !

The investigating police officer praised me for taking the action I did but believe me it was very very close indeed.

The police weren't so thrilled with her tho.

The BANG of a crash is one of the worst noises ever, however, I think it's the immediate silence afterwards that is the worst. The moment when everything hits home, you have to check if you're still alive and all your limbs are still working.

I'll agree with the silence bit.

Otherwise hearing the loss of compression on 3 after driving through a flood in my diesel Fiesta and blowing the head gasket and bending the con rod, or the loss of compression on 2 and 2 in the Panda when the metal web between them blew out. Surprisingly got that welded up and going again with a wilder cam and K&N air filter!