What is the law in the UK regarding Window tinting

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Waynne asked me to start some frequently asked questions so we have a place to point people to.

So what is the law in the UK regarding Window tints? How is this verified and tested and what powers to the Police have when you don't comply?

Gov.uk:

Tinted vehicle windows: the law

The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985

The front windscreen and front side windows must both let at least 70% of light through.

Penalties for having wrongly tinted windows

It’s illegal to fit or sell glass (or a vehicle already fitted with glass) that breaks the rules on tinted windows.

The police or the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) vehicle examiners use light measuring equipment to measure window tint.

If your windscreen or front side windows are tinted too much you could get:

• a ‘prohibition notice’ stopping you using your vehicle on the road until you have the extra tint removed
  • a penalty notice or court summons

Tinted windows are not part of the MOT test.

As an aside, vehicle windows are tinted from the factory (wind one down halfway and compare the view) so any additional tinting will probably exceed the legal limits.

if the windows were original fitment then they are legal.

A fair number of Japanese vehicles ,notably Nissan in the nineties have uv glass (japanese name for the g;ass )

Although they look almost black it is quite possible to seem out almost as easily as when clear.

That would mean that there is one law for some but another law for others. The law on tints doesn't state this and allows no exemptions, as far as I can see. Can you point me to evidence that this is so as I can't find any?

Highly polished glass will also obscure peoples ability to look in - is that the sort of thing these Japanese cars come with, ultra reflective polarised glass. Mirrored surfaces also offer privacy but don't always cut down too much incoming light.

Reading Sleeper's post again along with yours, I see what you mean. Almost mirrored glass but still complies with the amount of light that must be let through. Interesting.

I hate tinted windows that prevent you from seeing if the driver has seen you or you seeing them
Just plain dangerous IMO

Obi explains it much better than me The nineties Nissan glass isn't really tinted as in a darker film put on the glass. It says uv cut glass on it ( whatever that means )
Maybe I will try and take some pics

Copied form cancerresearchuk.org:

Most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. This means that although glass might reduce the risk of sunburn, it does not prevent long term damage from UVA. So, if you are driving long distances or sitting in your conservatory every day for long periods of time, you need to make sure you are using sun protection on sunny days.

Some of the Peugeot front screens have a heavy blue/purple tint which you can see in some light conditions.

Some of the Peugeot front screens have a heavy blue/purple tint which you can see in some light conditions.

Waynne, that's not a tint, that's a reflection. It's due to the IR reflective coating on the screen. The colour varies with angle of incidence and is a result of phase interference - the coating is very thin, circa 1/4 wavelength of IR light.

well whatever it is here aresome pics of a stagea with the glass
outside

inside

no photoshop changes just how they came out