What is the cheapest/biggest power gain?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What car gives the best power gain for the lowest amount of money.
I'm thinking as a baseline we take an Audi 1.8T remap it and get a 75bhp gain. What other cars do you know of that gives a better return for an outlay of under £400.

Would a Skyline or a Supra give a better power gain for this money?

What car gives the best power gain for the lowest amount of money.
I'm thinking as a baseline we take an Audi 1.8T remap it and get a 75bhp gain. What other cars do you know of that gives a better return for an outlay of under £400.

Would a Skyline or a Supra give a better power gain for this money?

Thats is quite alot of gains. But you couldn't compare to other cars because most people do the remap after other mods have been done so the gains vary. If we was talking about a single mod and which gives the best gains it would have to be nos.
Although I think my dad was told that just a remap on his scoob should take power up about 30-40 bhp. But then again it varies on each car.
I'm interested on everyone else's thought's on this subject.

remap would give the best gain but your not going to see 75bhp from £400 thats going to require a full custom map so youd be looking around £700 for that
a normal one will give around 40bhp

911 X50 (911 turbo with bigger turbos intercoolers) a standard remap for that can give around 80 or 90 bhp and over 100ftlb

Turbocharged engines offer the most gains whereas nasp are pretty poor in comparison. Alot also depends upon what type ecu is fitted. The Siemens ecu in the ZS is able to learn modifications and will only require a custom ecu when you get into 285 cam and throttle body territory.

NOS is only a part-time power gain and not really economical when compared with other mods as the bottle will last around 20 seconds if using the standard sized bottle. Some engines cannot take a big boost and may blow so limit of 50bhp maybe put in place.

you could nitrous any car for that sort of money

But you can't use it on the road.

A good custom remap does work wonders with turbocharged engines. Diesels especially, benefit from this. I think lots of manufacturers undertune their higher end diesel model variants simply to make space in the market for the top petrol ones.

But you can't use it on the road.

A good custom remap does work wonders with turbocharged engines. Diesels especially, benefit from this. I think lots of manufacturers undertune their higher end diesel model variants simply to make space in the market for the top petrol ones.
i saw that mate, supposidly 70 bhp for diesels from getting them chipped

what about supercharger or turbo i know they are expensive but buck for bhp they are awsome also nos is a very good cheap gainer

i saw that mate, supposidly 70 bhp for diesels from getting them chipped

Mine didn't gain quite that much but it was close to 60bhp. A custom map is clever, the first stage (after confirming that the car is in a good state to be mapped) is to smooth out the peaks of the factory map. This can only be done with access to sense data from the ECU. Even after this stage alone, the car will often feel faster, even though it probably is slightly slower. But the power delivery is now very even.

Only now can the fuel/boost parameters be altered across the rev range. This net increase is very carefully applied. You cannot, for example, just go for a 30% increase in power by just ramping up the peak boost threshold and fuelling dwell time by 30%.

A custom remap will take 3 or four sessions to really get the best result for your car. And you need to cover quite a few hundred miles between sessions so that ECU sense data is meaningful.

This is why I despise tuning plug in boxes. They are a convenient way to completely destroy your engine's driveability for the small return in peak power.