What is the best way to run in an engine

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I know the first 1000 miles or so are critical so what is the best way to run in an engine?

Do modern engines actually need to be "run in"?

Modern engines still need to be run in properly to get the best out of them and babying one is not the way as the only metal to metal contact other than the valves seating is the rings to the cylinder walls and they will never get the best seal being driven like Miss Daisy and bouncing it off the redline straight away is just as harmful.

The rings do not seal due solely to their built in spring tension pressing them outwards onto the cylinder walls and need some load on the motor so that the power stroke gasses can exert additional pressure on the back of the rings via the gas ports built into the pistons to bed them in correctly to a properly honed bore. This happens in a very short time frame and not over 1000 miles as previously thought.

In simple terms if you "run it in" the old fashioned way using lowish revs and light throttle loads then the internal cylinder pressures will be low due to little fuel used leading to low pressure behind the rings to force them out against the cylinder walls therefore by using more throttle under acceleration or uphill loads the motor and uses more fuel = higher internal cylinder pressure each power stroke = better ring to cylinder bore seal |B

There is so much info in the following article that needs to be read more than once to get a better understanding of things.

Last edited:
Thank you for that helpful post @TCJBOLDIE that article is quite a read.

I read about a fast break in, with lots of high RPM high loads, but I've heard lots of people saying that would be bad for the engine and I'd probably blow oil seals if I did this before the rings bedded in.