What is the best tyre manufacturer?

What is the best tyre manufacturer?

• Total voters

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We all have our favourites and each have different products for different cars but which tyre maker is your first choice of rubber?

Last edited:
Archive from the old forum

By Alexander Kapischke (193.159.219.250) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 08:18 am: Edit

Of course, the newer modell was the Sport Contact II.

By Alexander Kapischke (193.159.219.250) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 08:16 am: Edit

The Continental Sport Contact was a superb choice an my 185bhp Corrado. Although they has more then 10 years they had grip like the hand of the incredible Hulk. As the Sport Contact came out, i wanted to put it on my wheels, but unfortunately it´s just available for bigger wheels, beginning 205/..
The Sport Contact I were not really good on rainy lanes, but the newer model shall be really improved according that roadcondition.

By Waynne (80.46.137.70) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

I'm going for Eagle F1's with the V groove pattern but was tempted by the Pirelli P6000 (Pzeros dont come in smaller sizes!) or a set of Yokahomas or Avons.) They need to be pretty good in the wet and superb in the dry. If I get a wider alloy there seem to be lots more choice but I presume that the price goes up.

By Mark Harwood on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Eagle F1s are excellent, i've got them on my 106 GTi and are very progressive with excellent wet weather handling. Yokahomas and Avons are meant to be good too, though i've heard P6000s are not very progressive. You should note that the Pirellis are not marketed as a high performance tyre unlike the F1s.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

I recently read a very good review / comparison of performance tyres in EVO July 2002 and (I know, it's a little dated ...but) the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 came out the clear winner. Clearly different vehicles will be more suited to different tyres and manufacturers, however in the review I mention, the test car was a Ford Focus ST170 so I will be shodding my ST170 with these as soon as possible.

Evo_Tyre_Test_2002_17.jpg (248k)

I'd appreciate it if anyone had some more recent information re best tyres for an ST170 (17'' 215/40).

Cheers,
Hideo

I Swear by the eagle F1's. They are very grippy - the onliy downside is the short lifespan. They actually make a rather boring car fun to drive. And the Tread pattern just looks so cool.

on my camaro i run mickey thompson they have nearly as much grip as the wife on me wallet lol. and on the fiat 20valve i use toyo

( found in a tip) short for fiat lol

I like Dunlop! Not grippy enough to plane themselves away on drive to shops but grippy enough to fling car into corners and know it will stick!
Like the tread pattern on some Yokohamas though but they wear down too fast over here.

i've been through a couple of sets on my clio now and it's about time the rears were changed, so good timing for this topic :D about three months ago i made the mistake of putting budget tyres on the back (firestone's) which i was told are made by bridgestone, anyway three weeks later we had a shower on an otherwise dry day and i span round a corner an backwards into a parked car, i wont be buying them again!

I don’t have a lot of driving experience but on my car atm I have Toyo's. (Excuse my ignorance but I don't know the actual model of tyre.)

They seem good to me and have a pretty good rep'. The only complaint I have so far is they seem a little slippy on corners in the wet. May have something to do with the rest of my set up, or the speed I took the corners at, but they have made me more cautions on tight bends.

Currently I have Yoki A539's on the GT and they do a pretty good job, but, if I were to pick my ideal tyre, it'd be:

R888.jpg

Toyo Proxes R888

I don't think people realise quite how important tyre choice is. IMO tyres are one of the most important things on a car, afterall, they're the only thing keeping you (doing, say, 70mph) on the road.

Nice tread pattern - almost a racing slick. Saw some of these on an elise.

I would if I could afford it but that's not likely for a while yet.

I would rather have 2 cars but I'm not likely to have that for even longer. :p

I prefer our Indian MRF tyres, they are ideally suited for our road conditions, other than MRF my choice would be Bridgestone

im currently running Nankangs (only because can only get nankangs or kumhos in 185/45/15 and they are stretched over an 8J rim anyway so never as good handling wise as a standard tyre)
have to say though, given that they are very stretched, i haveny had any scary moments yet! handle just as well in the dry as my old Potenzas, an almost as good as my parada spec 2's! not stupid enough to really hammer the car in the wet (1" of wishbone clearance, stretched cheap tyres and a very rev happy valver not best combo in world for wet driving!)

why is hankook not on list i have found them very good wet or dry

They can't all be on the list I suppose. It's not my poll, so I cannot answer that question directly.

Hankook makes some very good tyres. They're often fitted as OEM equipment to some European models. (Seat being one).

Sometimes, but not often, a high volume model will have a specific factory tyre fitment where the car maker has sourced model specific tyres from a tyre maker. Seat enjoyed a brief affair with Hankook. The models thus fitted enjoyed a good reputation for their road manners.

Aftermarket tyres do, occasionally, differ from the OEM fitments even if the the same tyre maker and tyre pattern is specified.

Viking Tyres are made by Continental GMBH, they're very good. Kleber is a Michelin brand.

Many 'midrange' tyres are made under the auspices of big name premium manufacturers.

Buying a 'minor' tyre brand in the UK now is not a risky business. Twenty years ago I would have thought and advised very differently.

If you like the way the Hankooks drive and respond then that's all the justification you need to stick with 'em.

Yokohama replaces another 0 votes item;)

No more space for other brands though unfortunately.

I got hankooks on my car at the moment as well, I got optimo's k14's i think 185/65/14 they are great,

I just read a review in my lastest EVO mag and after loads of scientific tests they found that the Conti SportContact 3 was the best performance tyre on the market, (out of the ones they tested though)

1)Conti Sportcontact 3
2)Uniroyal Rainsport2
3) Vredestien Ultrac Cento
4)Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
5)Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
6)Yoko Advan Neova AD08
7)Kumho Ecsta Le sport KU39
8) Hankook Ventus v12 Evo
9) Zeetex Hp103