What is the best jaguar engine?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Heres a question for the Jaguar afficionados. What is the best engine that Jaguar have produced and why?

This was the first one Jaguar Supercharged on a road car
Standard was 370BHP I believe but will have to check Lister took one up to 500

My Ex wife died from a Jaguar she opened the door and it jumped out and bit her head off lmao
only joking lol

the best jag has to be The XJ220 twin-turbo V6

My Ex wife died from a Jaguar she opened the door and it jumped out and bit her head off lmao
only joking lol

the best jag has to be The XJ220 twin-turbo V6

The original engine that was planned for that car was a V12 but they got cold feet when the petrol crisis started and everybody wanted smaller engines

i have owned the streight 6 in the following configerations
3.4 twin carb
3.8 tripple carb
4.2 tripple carb
4.2 injected
and 12 v carb and injected pre he and he
its the 6ltr v12 he that i like most , possibly a little easier to start than the carb version,a little more hp and torque but mainly its the torque that the engine seems to be capable of producing with very little effort in standard form .
when worked they punch out a load of horse power and torque , but retain reliability . a very over engineered engine and affordable

I still have S T R V8 with supercharger - third engine so far in the same car - first lasted for about 92.000 km, second lasted 72.000 km, and new one is placed 2 weeks ago counting 6.000 km so far.

Heres a question for the Jaguar afficionados. What is the best engine that Jaguar have produced and why?

I have two Jags, one with a 5.3 V12 HE and one with the 4.2 Inline hemi 6 cylinder and it is a toss up, the V12 is quieter than the Inline 6, who would have guessed, but I love them both. So I don't know ~!~!~!~!????

i have owned the streight 6 in the following configerations
3.4 twin carb
3.8 tripple carb
4.2 tripple carb
4.2 injected
and 12 v carb and injected pre he and he
its the 6ltr v12 he that i like most , possibly a little easier to start than the carb version,a little more hp and torque but mainly its the torque that the engine seems to be capable of producing with very little effort in standard form .
when worked they punch out a load of horse power and torque , but retain reliability . a very over engineered engine and affordable

Glad to see that you guys love engines with horsepower rather than "horse#!#!#!#!" ha ha ha.......like the 3 cylinder "armchair" as I call, you know-the Smart car? I don't care that the entire car is loaded with airbags, airbags are no match for car that has an engine that weighs almost 700 pounds let alone the weight of the car itself.
Let's keep driving our gas gobbling monsters and keep as many of them on the road as possible.

the 5.3L V12.
It's smoothness and lack of the need of balancing shafts. The V12 is a complicated work of art worthy of the Jaguar badge and well suited for these fabulous cars. Although the 4.2 Inline XK 6 cylinder hemi is real nice engine as well, I have one of each and they are sturdy workhorse engines when looked after properly. Some people buy XJS's pull the V12 and use Chevy engines, I think this is a mistake and a BIG mistake since Jaguar engines are reliable, strong and large engines meant for these heavy cars, besides original says it all.

The original engine that was planned for that car was a V12 but they got cold feet when the petrol crisis started and everybody wanted smaller engines

Sorry but i'll have to correct you on that one mate.
They dumped the V12 because of emissions getting stricter and there was also suppose to be a few design problems.
They ended up using a Tom Walkinshaw developed 3.5 V6 and then slapped 2 turbo's on it.
As Waynne has already mentioned the engine come from a Metro 6R4.;)

sorry also , but the original 220 was a v12 , twr did the job on jaguar sport and scaremongered with the big emissions stick enough to use a motor that they , by chance had been developing ( profound ) equally as strange in twr s first outing at le mans 1993 they won the gt class but were disqualified for not having emession controll devises fitted . As to the comment re fuel costs .... 290,000 pounds in 1998 indexed untill delivery 570 units available and over 2000 orders to purchase in 2 days , fuel costs were not a consideration . There was nothing wrong with the V12 or the 4 wheel drive etc it was twr pushing the BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME FOR TWR

In my opinion the AJ6 24 V engine is the best Jaguar engine, however I love all the XK series engines, I own a 1965 S type 3.8 which I run once a week. Used to own a XK120, a 140, Mk7 and briefly a Mk V. in my younger days!

i'm with weber on this one, Jag V12 5.3 or 6.0L(6.0 preferred after driving one,Torque).

here in the states, Grp44 was ahead of TWR until coventry stopped the money to Grp44, bosses did the usual English thing,want to keep control of any situations that could arise.

even if it was nonproductive!

Attachments

• wild cat,burnout 006.jpg
    wild cat,burnout 006.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
  • mazda& jaguar 001_copy.jpg
    mazda& jaguar 001_copy.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2
Best engine is the 5L SC, stock 510-550hp and lots of torque. With a remap and pulley change 640hp and so much torque. A real monster.

Out of the three Jaguar engines I have owned - X-Type 3.0 (AWD, Manual), XJ Sport 3.2 (AJ16) and S-Type 4.0 V8 it has to be the V8, smooth but so powerful. All three Jaguar engines have been the best engines I have owned although I still have a soft spot for a Subaru Turbo....

I've only driven one Jaguar V8 which was a 2 year old 97/P plated XK8 Coupe. Not sure kingfisher blue suited the car but it was thoroughly pleasant to drive, if somewhat cramped. The brakes felt a bit inadequate to me for it's potential performance but otherwise very nice. Shame Jaguar didn't do a high powered diesel estate variant. With bigger discs :D

There is quite a tasty engine in the XF which is supercharged and gives similar MPG to an average family diesel! :)