What is the best car tool around

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Of all the many tools around which one or ones are your favourites? I'm sure we all have those tools we just wouldn't do without so what are your essentials over and above the right size spanners and screwdrivers?

I think the torque wrenches are pretty cool but the impact driver has to be one of the handiest tools around. That said though I think we could probably still live without these tools although the TR is an essential on head bolts and other essentails of that type.

always need a hammer

but my most used tool and the best thing i have bought has to be my power probe is the best when doing wiring or finding wiring faults
think it cost me about 70 quid from snap on but has saved me so many hours on jobs it paid for its self in the first week

agree with HDi - WD40 - its just great, am how many times have i kicked my self for being to lazy to get it and then shearing the head off a bolt.

Hmm a kettle, a hammer and WD40! What an eclectic list of tools! I'm glad none of you are dentists.:lol:

Oil wrech that loz mentioned is handy for tight areas ive got one as the hondas filter was in a pain of an area ( think a few times i just used a screwdriver and hammer to get it off )

hammer and wd40 i dont have the air gun so when a lot o torque is needed to get those old bolts loose nothing is better than letting wd40 soak in ring spanner over and hit it a few times with a hammer, ok breaker bar does the same but not allways the room

But hitting it the spanner with a hammer makes it more likely it will round or the head will snap off. Bad move buddy :D As for filter wrenches...you guys are spoilt these days; screwdriver knocked through with hammer FTW!

And if you think WD40 is good you should try something like Plus Gas. 100 times better.

never once rounded a nut off doning it as long as its a proper sized ring spanner. yes plus gas is alot better but trying to find it around here is murder, we used to get it in at work but technical department banned it as its not food grade.

That's just one car though. I'm not saying you WILL round off or take the head off every bolt is you start hitting ring spanners with a hammer, it's just another way you might create hassle for yourself when you could've done the same job with a breaker bar or impact wrench.

no thats just the worst used to to undo the bolt on the hub for the driveshaft on the same car. used it to remove calipers in the same way on several cars. breaker bar is better but didnt have one at the time

Although a fun discussion, we all know that there is no definitive best tool. We need them ALL, we just have to convince the WAGs and HABs of this :)

Having spent my early years skint and making do, now that I can afford it I get the right tool for the job whenever possible (isn't eBay wonderful?). If not, then I make one.

Garage is carpeted (carpet squares so oily or damaged ones can be replaced), car sits on a scissor hoist so no more crawling around, heating and lots of light (getting old), kettle (obviously) with plently of tea bags and coffee, radio. Comfort is probably the best tool I have, as it enables me to concentrate on the job in hand making for a better job.

Don't put a clock in your workshop, you can spent too much time looking at it. Her/Him indoors will let you know when it is time to come in :)

The only big thing I would still like to get is a an oxy-acetylene torch and the only big skill I would like to learn is how to weld aluminium.

Last edited:
Don't know about the best - they're all handy when needed. The worst is the tool that was driving the Audi that tailgated me all the way up the A6!