what is the best car to mod that is cheap to insure. look at it from a young driver

mukalingling

Wrench Pro
Car
mk3 golf 1.4 match
ok, dispute my want to purchase and old school carb supra or BMW or even a 200sx. all of the the above are still a distant dream in my eyes. even a civic, most golfs are high insurance for me. but there must be a loop hole. there must be a car which is quick and cheap or easy to mod and cheap to insure. any ideas guys and girls ???

Re: what is the best car to mod that is cheap to insure. look at it from a young driv

Insurers are getting quite shrewd.

Needlessly so, I think; not many people who expensively modify their cars is going to go out with intent to cause harm or damage to it, never mind to anyone else's car, property or, God forbid, body.

Find something that might qualify for 'classic car status' in the underwriters' opinion(s). You will be limited on mileage, say, max of 10,000 per year, but there are benefits. If it is written off you'll be paid the market value AS A CLASSIC, not as just an old car.

MG Maestro or MG Montego might well qualify; Golf MkII GTi might; Rover SD1 almost certainly will.

Also, the Supra you mentioned or carb fed 3/5 Bavarian series could well be considered favourably for classic status.

It's only a thought, but you did ask for ideas. Just that this is a slightly off-the-wall one.

Happy buying :)

Last edited:
Re: what is the best car to mod that is cheap to insure. look at it from a young driv

yer thanks i will consider it. :p
i have looked at older cars though like the a 1979 1.6 scirocco but that was £3000 to insure and a mk2 gti was over £2000 :(

yer thanks i will consider it. :p
i have looked at older cars though like the a 1979 1.6 scirocco but that was £3000 to insure and a mk2 gti was over £2000 :(

Don't give up. No-one will automatically offer Classic Car insurance. Some will also expect you to have another car for daily use, so perhaps I was being a little too ambitious with my suggestion.

Insurance is pricey, I'm sad to say, basically because so many don't bother with the stuff. The insurers have a collective fund set aside to deal with this and we honest folks all pay for it.

£2K is mad though, I only paid about £270 year on year for a remapped 406 which deliverd 190+bhp. Despite being 40 yrs old I could still do the same amount of damage with a car that a 17yr old could do with it, or with any other car.

The fact is that there is no profit margin in car insurance for any underwriter. It's a necessity, as much as cars are [a neccesity] so they have to offer it if they want to be able to sell all their other insurance/financial service products.

The Only Loop-Pole is Don't tell the insurance, which is illegal :p

The Question is "How Badly Do you want the car"?

I'm paying £££'s for insurance, but worth every penny. Best Ride of my life :p

I wouldn't be happy paying £2000 a year to insurance a car but at the end of the day I would knowing I couldn't drive another car and not get the same feeling :(

Don't give up. No-one will automatically offer Classic Car insurance. Some will also expect you to have another car for daily use, so perhaps I was being a little too ambitious with my suggestion.

Insurance is pricey, I'm sad to say, basically because so many don't bother with the stuff. The insurers have a collective fund set aside to deal with this and we honest folks all pay for it.

£2K is mad though, I only paid about £270 year on year for a remapped 406 which deliverd 190+bhp. Despite being 40 yrs old I could still do the same amount of damage with a car that a 17yr old could do with it, or with any other car.

The fact is that there is no profit margin in car insurance for any underwriter. It's a necessity, as much as cars are [a neccesity] so they have to offer it if they want to be able to sell all their other insurance/financial service products.

This would be a good race I reckon

when I was young I insured a 2cv the cheapest car to insure at the time then drove my 2ltr lancia (an expensive car to insure at the time) covered by the "drive any one Else's car" part of the policy, totally legal back then but I don't know about now.
I have heard that if you put your parent on the policy as the main driver (although it is your car and your policy) it can reduce the insurance a lot as opposed to the usual yourself on your parents policy. Clasics are cheap to insure my 5 ltr was just under £200 years ago and no no claims bonus needed or gained

well i really want a car in deed. and i'm fed up with 1.4 litre engine as you can do next to nothing on them. ive driven a sunny, clio, mk3 golf and and astra and they were all roughly £1500. :( looked at insurance on my dads primera as well was 250 for him add me as a named driver and it jumped to £2500 :( seems like im doomed to not really be able to drive which seems quite bad seeing as i forked out alot of money and time to get my license. its hard to even get insurance for less than a grand at my age with my parents both on a named drivers :(

when I was young I insured a 2cv the cheapest car to insure at the time then drove my 2ltr lancia (an expensive car to insure at the time) covered by the "drive any one Else's car" part of the policy, totally legal back then but I don't know about now.

if your fully comp then you have the drive anyone elses car 3rd party as long as they have it insured and you have their permission.
unfortunately most insurers have a clause that under 25s cant do this.

sorry mate but i think youll be stuck with slower cars for a few years

well i really want a car in deed. and i'm fed up with 1.4 litre engine as you can do next to nothing on them. ive driven a sunny, clio, mk3 golf and and astra and they were all roughly £1500. :( looked at insurance on my dads primera as well was 250 for him add me as a named driver and it jumped to £2500 :( seems like im doomed to not really be able to drive which seems quite bad seeing as i forked out alot of money and time to get my license. its hard to even get insurance for less than a grand at my age with my parents both on a named drivers :(

Wow I dunno why it's that bad,..... I'm just over a Grand, without any NCB on a 2 Litre Import.

Remember don't be totally honset with the insurance companys ( Going to get my head nipped now haha)

Also if you need your car for work like dropping off items, Don't need to tell really as your employer should cover you third party through their business insurance.

See how you get on,.....Age are you if you don't mind me asking and have you ever been in trouble? ..... my cousin was quoted £2500 a year on his 1.6 focus as he was a banned driver :p

Last edited:

Wow I dunno why it's that bad,..... I'm just over a Grand, without any NCB on a 2 Litre Import.

Remember don't be totally honset with the insurance companys ( Going to get my head nipped now haha)

Don't put down 10'000 millage a year you do as they'll see you as a high risk with all the driver so say you do 3000 - 4000 per year
Please try and be realist with the mileage you do

and little things like where you car is parked during the day, I say Sercue private car park as it is Pirvate ground as belongs to the owners not council.

Also if you need your car for work like dropping off items, Don't need to tell really as your employer should cover you third party through their business insurance.
You require business class for this. the companies insurance wont cover you. unless your using a company car

See how you get on,.....Age are you if you don't mind me asking and have you ever been in trouble? ..... my cousin was quoted £2500 a year on his 1.6 focus as he was a banned driver :p

see green sections above

Ok 9000 Miles per Year lol is that better?
I used my own car awhile back for Pizza Hut doing Takeaways, and I was unsure of this insurance wise. So they telephone their insurance board, and they comfired, As long Your car is MOTed, Taxed and You are insuranced to Drive the car then they cover you for Business Insurance even if you are Third Party on your Own insurance.
And it has to be Legal as 2 people who also worked their, had been in a crash and the Pizza Hut insurance payed out for the repairs. They wouldn't do this you weren't legal

depends on the business then. pizza hut is big
mate was done for having no insurance for delivering takeaways - 1 year ban. he didnt know he needed business class

i need business class for the cadets as i may have to pick up and deliver items or people.

small white lies you might get away with ie 9000 when you really do 10k.
but if your saying you only do 3k a year and have a crash dont you think they might look a little deeper into it ?

Yeah Do agree with you Bud, I edited that Post, and Cant Argue with you :p

Yeah think it depends on the Business as Pizza Hut Pay for Business Insurance however they are other Takeaway like Currys etc where you have to provide your own business insurance

well why you need a fast car when you can only do 30 round town and 70 on the motorway and your golf will do that easy

but none of us on here has thought about that when we buy are cars lol

until you get a bit older and get a few more ncb the insurance will be high nothing you can do about it

but do agree with hdi a classic will be cheaper but you can not do a quote online for classics its all done by phone for the cheapest rates

i only payed 1300 f/c for my first car a 1.1 fiesta and i am a mechanic one of the highest groups for insurance for some reason
but 3 months later i got a 2.0 sri cavalier put it in my bosses name so was covered under the garage insurance and drove that until my fiesta was out then swaped it over for less

now all my cars and bikes dont even come to a grand

well im 19 been driving for 16 months and got a sp30. those damn speed cameras. i also have had 2 accidents one in Oct 2008 and one in June 2009. id say i have a years no claims but i havn't had a policy long enough. lol but its cos i was quite immature when i started driving and guess i'm paying the price now .... literally haha. but tbh i did only tell them about one of the accidents as the other was under my grandad policy and 'he' was driving. dont worry im not the bastard grandson who ruined his no claims as he can not drive being disabled now so he said i may as well use his no claims while its useful.

looked at insurance for a 1.6 nissan sunny which was not bad then i looked at the older coupe and its an extra £800 :(

Wait or fork out the extra money. It's that simple. One of my cars at 19 was a ~180bhp Punto GT. Yes the insurance was rediculous but I paid it.

points and a crash you wont find cheap insurance
as m/a said wait or pay

In fact with 3 points and 2 crashes in 16 months of driving you should stick to something slow for a while. Might be safer for all of us youth!

One crash was a women pulling out of tesco not looking and the other a old guy with glasses bigger than the alloys on his jag slamming his brakes for a camera that was a road sign :(. Anyway lookin around it seems the almera seems relatively cheap to insure as does a few turbo densels

At your age I had a Honda Civic. It is do-able if you shop around, but with your history it won't be 'cheap'.

I think we have all missed one hell of a car here.

A toyota starlet! Imported.

They have a 1.4 turbo engine. What more could a young driver want?? It has a turbo and is a petrol!!! And its small, for all the parking beginners out there.

They are rapid. And as for tuning. You can do everything to them. Insurance is fairly cheep. Maby a first time buy, but defo a 1years no claims buy.

Wouldn't the fact that it is imported load the insurance premiums? Would that be the grey import we hear so much about?

I know a few lads that have one, and they don't pay to much. Its only a 1.4.

If that's the case then one well worth looking into.

I think we have all missed one hell of a car here.

A toyota starlet! Imported.

They have a 1.4 turbo engine. What more could a young driver want?? It has a turbo and is a petrol!!! And its small, for all the parking beginners out there.

They are rapid. And as for tuning. You can do everything to them. Insurance is fairly cheep. Maby a first time buy, but defo a 1years no claims buy.

Cannot remember the last time I saw one of these pocket rockets on the road! :amuse:

There is a very nice clean looking Starlet turbo near my house somewhere. I see it all the time. Youngish youth in it as well and tbh i've never seen him boot it.
Tis a very smart looking car though.

There is a very nice clean looking Starlet turbo near my house somewhere. I see it all the time. Youngish youth in it as well and tbh i've never seen him boot it.
Tis a very smart looking car though.

Mark this one down as highly unusual and rarer than a straight answer to a question too a politician :bigsmile:

:lol::lol:
I know where another one is as well but I only ever see it parked up so don't know who owns it?
Smart little cars imo.
But i'd still imagine it would be quite expensive to insure as it's a hot hatch and it's imported.
You'd need it to alarmed up to the max for the insurance to lower.
Regardless of what engine it's got it's still classed as a hot hatch and to make that worse it's turbo'd as well.

:lol::lol:
I know where another one is as well but I only ever see it parked up so don't know who owns it?
Smart little cars imo.
But i'd still imagine it would be quite expensive to insure as it's a hot hatch and it's imported.
You'd need it to alarmed up to the max for the insurance to lower.
Regardless of what engine it's got it's still classed as a hot hatch and to make that worse it's turbo'd as well.

But in the insurers eye's isn't a rover 400 a ''hot hatch''? Or a Polo? Waynne maight be able to answer as I know he used to be on the dark side. Where to insurars draw the line for a ''hot hatch''? :confused:

@ T9 - I think we should combine our CD and DVD collection and I'll move my toothbrush in! We always seem to have the same taste in cars! lol :lol:

@ T9 - I think we should combine our CD and DVD collection and I'll move my toothbrush in! We always seem to have the same taste in cars! lol :lol:

:lol: great minds think alike BBJ :)

But in the insurers eye's isn't a rover 400 a ''hot hatch''? Or a Polo? Waynne maight be able to answer as I know he used to be on the dark side. Where to insurars draw the line for a ''hot hatch''? :confused:

The "hot" bit is where insurers draw the line with hatchbacks.
There is a hot Polo the Gti and the G40.
The only reason the rover 400 isn't classed as a hot hatch is because it was never fitted with a decent engine.

Is there a definitive list or does it go from one insurer to another?

Each insurer will make their own mind up as what class they give each car.
It more or less always depends on which insurer you go with.

Thats good. Because I am going away for a few months in October, and when I get back, im going to try and part with my baby and buy a pulser, untill the GT-R's come down in price, then bag one of them babys!!:blink1:

Love pulsar's. My mate has one sitting in his mums front garden. Hasn't touched it in years. Tried buying it off him a few times but he won't sell. FFS he hasn't even got a licence. :blink:

Love pulsar's. My mate has one sitting in his mums front garden. Hasn't touched it in years. Tried buying it off him a few times but he won't sell. FFS he hasn't even got a licence. :blink:

What a waste.

My mate wouldn't sell me his about 5 years back. Not because he wasn't selling it, he didn't want me to kill myself in it! May I just add, this is the same guy I bought my Evo off!!!! lol