What is camber and toe

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Ive read an article about suspension and it says about camber and toe.

What are these and what effect do they have on handling and I presume tyre wear is also affected.

Is this what is set when you have your tracking done?

camber is the angle of the wheel relative to a vertical line.

Toe is the the angle relative to a line drawn fore-aft through the wheel.

A basic alignment will only adjust total toe in and for front wheels only. It's a waste of time.

A full 4 wheel alignment can take 2-3 hours to complete. More if some adjustments require the fitting or removal of spacers or shims.

Have a poke around howstuffworks.com for a full explanation.

If your wheels are like this from a front or rear view / \ with the tops pointing innermost, they have been set up with negative camber and obviously with the opposite \ / they have positive camber.
A very small amount of negative camber can asist in road handling, a lot less than my keyboard assisted diagrams. :lol:
People who lower their cars too much and either don't have the ability or available parts to correct excessive camber will often end up with the car running excess negative camber. This causes poor handling as the tyre contact with road surface is not true and of course the suspension is not working effectively too.
Toe is using the same diagram but looking from above the car, if your wheels are pointing innermost in this pattern / \ with the tops of each line being the front of the tyre, they are toeing inwards, too much in this plane will cause excess tyre wear on the outer edges of the tyre as your car is travelling forwards but predominantly on the leading edges instead of the full face of the tyre.
If they are pointing \ / they are toeing out and will in effect wear the inner edges of the tyres excessively. In either scenario the vehicle will suffer from vibration too, as well as poor cornering and general road holding.
In any of the above scenarios, all or any of the camber or toe settings can be incorrectly set or misaligned.
Something as simple as kerbing a car can cause damage to one side of a steering geometry, things do bend or break.
I hope my long winded explanation is simple enough to understand and if it's not, i apologise but to me it's rather simple. It's obviously far easier to explain with the use of either decent diagrams, video or with a car in front of you.

Very intresting as this is something i will be looking in to later.
did find a site about this and have saved it some ware.

Last edited:
you might find that one of the bolts that hold the hubs on (usually two bolts but only one of them adjusts) will allow for camber adjustment. I have this on the Impreza (the top of the two bolts) and same thing on my sisters 1.0l Seat Arosa. (so it doesnt necessarily have to be a powerfulish car).

you might find that one of the bolts that hold the hubs on (usually two bolts but only one of them adjusts) will allow for camber adjustment. I have this on the Impreza (the top of the two bolts) and same thing on my sisters 1.0l Seat Arosa. (so it doesnt necessarily have to be a powerfulish car).

And if not you can get camber adjustment bolts from the likes of Eibach for lots of cars. Re-adjusting the camber is a necessity if lowered really for the reasons Country Bumpkin states.