What is better a supercharger or a turbo

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
As far as I can make out both do the same job but which is better as an upgrade for a NASP engine a supercharger or a turbo?

(Yes I have read the articles on fitting a turbo and I know it's quite hard and costly but still want to know which is the better forced induction option.)

Both :), but I would say a supercharger is an easier diy proposition, all you need is some brackets, a drive source and a bit of plumbing.

With apologies to HDi fun :)

Supercharger - instant power at low RPM with very little or no lag. Struggle to provide big power at high RPM.

Turbocharger - Very little power at low RPM but almost unlimited power at high RPM at the cost of low RPM lag.

Combine the two for best of both worlds :)

Very simplified explanation.

Strength of Internals are far more relevant to turbos as a turbo increases the max bhp and torque substantially and more importantly produces lots of heat = more stress
A supercharger doesn't do this to anywhere near the same extent . It mainly makes more power from standstill and through mid range but an engine won't get stressed by that. . Also a supercharger doesn't produce heat like a turbo .

It's hard to choose which is better really. They work differently and it's clear that the two complement each other quite successfully in many applications. It's a bit like asking if Pepsi is better than Marmite.

Of course anything mechanical and/or compressing air generates heat to a degree.
I meant that a turbo systems generates more heat and it is usually nearer the induction so probably matters more

Of course anything mechanical and/or compressing air generates heat to a degree.
I meant that a turbo systems generates more heat and it is usually nearer the induction so probably matters more
Even when you pump up a car tyre, the pressurisation of air makes a large amount of heat in the pump and air line.