What is a mild hybrid

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Ok then I have some silly first timer questions but I'm sure lots of people are wondering about them like me and Waynne said to just ask as many useful questions as possible so here goes.

This one is about Hybrids and mild hybrids in particular.

What is a mild hybrid?

The mild hybrid is still a hybrid car that uses battery power and electric motors to improve range and power.

A mild hybrid usually doesn't have a plug in option, and relies on the cars regenerative braking systems to recoup lost energy for later release as power.

The battery is smaller so it doesn't offer much of a range, but can significantly improve fuel economy in stop start round town driving. Often the electric motor is used to get the car going, rather than put the pull and strain on a petrol engine using precious fuel to get the car rolling. Then when rolling the hybrid system cuts in.

A mild hybrid battery is typically only 0.5 Kwh whereas a plug in hybrid can range from 9 to 15kwh with a full electric car battery between 50 and 100 kwh (all typical figures, some models can vary quite wildly from this.)

I have to smile when I see all the advocates for electric powered vehicles that are helping "save the planet" getting their batteries recharged from power supplied by coal,gas or nuclear powered generators as ATM they are the only ones that can supply base load power when the sun don't shine and the wind doesn't blow too hard or not at all.