What is a good beginners car?

Something small and light and with a turbo.

I'm a big Audi fan, so an A3 S3 or even a Golf GTi would open the world of possibilities of upgrade options.

I'm guessing you will probably like the Honda S2000, and for some rear wheel drive fun you can't beat a decent M3.

I would love an M3 but doubt that I have the budget for one :oops: A friend, who's no expert ! suggested a BMW 1800 compact? just as a beginners car, so that I can see if I'm going to be any good at drifting.

That sounds good. Quite a few guys I know are using Sylvia's, and 240sx - the engine swap options for these are phenomenal.

I like the sound of the 1800 compacts, they are quite good value and a lot of fun to drift in. Parts can be quite expensive though so make sure you get a good solid one that's been looked after.

Over here a new driver has to display a red P plate front and rear for a year and then change to Green P's for 2 years before getting an open licence after competing an on line test.

There are restrictions on passenger numbers as well in general banned from driving hi powered cars that have in excess of 130 KW per tonne.

The new GR Yaris sneaks in under the P to W rule.

Those gr yaris are seriously fast.

The limitations sound like a good idea to me.

Here in the UK we have this sort of thing for motorbikes but not cars.

Northern Ireland (with different traffic rules to rest of UK) experimented with graduated driving licences but DfT has decided not to go ahead with the project (although it involved curfews rather than restrictions on max power of the cars, which makes less sense as if would make it difficult for young people who work at night time and need to drive to/from work).