What irks you the most

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
1 Tailgaters.
2 nervous or indecisive drivers
3 drivers with I Tunes or whatever with headphones in both ears.
4 Drivers constantly texting or on phone.
5 Drivers stationary in traffic and constantly looking down thinking no one will know they are on the mobile and not ready to move when cars in front move and when you give them a polite wake up toot some give you the bird.
6 Drivers who do not know how to merge onto higher speed roads and try to drive onto the highway at 60 kph into 100kph traffic.They seem to be terrified of fast acceleration even in performance makes.
7 Drivers who do not check their blind spots or put indicators on and change lanes thinking ??they have right of way.
8 Pedestrians who blindly step off the kerb onto the road with their head down texting etc
9 Drivers well under the limit but fail to keep left.
10 drivers who have lights on 4 safety in the day BUT never seem to ensure it's on low beam.

Am I just a grumpy old man or do I have some soul mates out there??

Last edited:
Quite an accurate list there. I could add to this list by some margin yet I fear my fingers would develop RSI from the constant keyboard use ;)

About the same sort of list I would start with!! My pet hate is tailgaters. I'm thinking of rigging up an oil spray, windscreen height :amuse:

2, 6, 7 by miles. lol. I agree with the rest also but they're my top ones. Also people that don't know how to use roundabouts

2, 6, 7 by miles. lol. I agree with the rest also but they're my top ones. Also people that don't know how to use roundabouts
:embarrest:Don't know how I missed them as they are the biggie for indecisive drivers. People,some seem clueless and wait till there is no one on or near before entering while others want to keep a secret and do not indicate their intentions and others that do use indicators insist on exiting the r/about with the right one flashing when you are turning LEFT to leave the roundabout.

Last edited:
2 nervous or indecisive drivers - I will cut them some slack but there are some people who have been around long enough to get over this and learn how to drive and they still clog up our roads!

The trouble is that a lot if not most most motorists are delusional and actually think they are really good drivers:amazed: so they never have another lesson and unknowingly pass on their bad habits to their children who observe their behavior for 16 years.

BBJ that's something my lovely wife of 49 years has said on more than one occasion.
One thing that really grinds my gears is people who rip the handbrake on without depressing the button resulting in loud clacking noise. IMHO no driver who prides themselves as being a skillful driver does this.

IMHO no driver who prides themselves as being a skillful driver does this.

How do you come to this conclusion? The way you put the hand brake has no effect on your skill level as a driver.

Id like to see you run upto Seb Leab and see how he applies the hand brake in his day to day car and tell him he isn't a skillful driver! lol

BBJ We are totally in agreement that champion racing & rally drivers are extremely skilled drivers in their chosen sport BUT do you really think that any top chauffeur driving our heads of state who may be on a hot line to George Dubya discussing matters of state would yank on the HD clack clack clack .I believe to do so shows a lack of mechanical sympathyso I guess we will have to agree to dissagree on this.
FWIW I engage the HB more than most ,when waiting for lights or turning as it was part of the IAM test I passed ages ago.

Yeah, somone who does a job like ferry big wigs around may not wish to make a noise, but this does not show that you have no mechanical sympathy, or too, that your a poor driver. I mean, the ratchets that make the click will make a click no matter how old the car is. They do not ware out.

I am a radar mechanic who knows quite a bit with locking and cam mechanisms. I severely doubt not pressing the button is going to affect it in any way what so ever.

I love a good back and too! :p:bigsmile:

BBJ I love this site as we can agree to disagree without the flaming,profanity & keyboard warrior type replies on other sites.
With the HB I prefer the quiet method of operation seeing I probably use it way more than most.
PS wear (can.t find how to add a smile 4 u )

Hope we can meet nxt year when we are in your neck of the woods

Last edited:
Why would anyone need a hotline to "George Dubya"? Pretty sure Barack Obama's been president for a few years now. Lol!

It's easy enough to add to the list, middle-aged men in trilby hats, what-have-you, but I guess it all comes down to a common irk or even hatred of anyone who isn't prepared to take driving seriously as a job worth doing in it's own right, without distraction and without being just an annexe to another activity like making a phone call.

How could I have forgotten to mention RED LIGHT RUNNERS.
People seem to think that if you enter the intersection or whatever before the red that it's ok WRONG In Oz the amber is the start of the red and one is required to stop if possible BUT sadly most seem to press harder on the wrong pedal. I always look both ways when the green lights up as do not want to be "T" boned.
Unfortunately we do not have enough police to enforce the multitude of road rules/laws in this county.

How could I have forgotten to mention RED LIGHT RUNNERS.
People seem to think that if you enter the intersection or whatever before the red that it's ok WRONG In Oz the amber is the start of the red and one is required to stop if possible BUT sadly most seem to press harder on the wrong pedal. I always look both ways when the green lights up as do not want to be "T" boned.
Unfortunately we do not have enough police to enforce the multitude of road rules/laws in this county.

Quite agree mate. I'm a cycling instructor for my day job and I always tell the kids that there's only one 'go' and even that means 'go if it's safe to do so'. The rest are stop, as in 'stop if you can', 'DEFINITELY stop' and 'STAY stopped but get ready to go' (we have a red+amber phase here - can't remember if Oz does).

I think Jeff Bridges said in a movie I've forgotten the name of, that as an alien, he'd observed that amber means 'go faster'. Sad but true.

Cyclists in the UK are constantly being labelled with the 'always going through red lights' stigma, but compared to 1.5 tons at 45 clicks for a typical car, I know which one is more dangerous.

Ditto to there never being a copper around when you want one!

p.s. I totally agree with you about preoccupied pedestrians. As a motorist and cyclist in equal amounts, just what is about them that thinks a push-bike at 25 kph can't hurt? They look straight at you, even make eye-contact, and STILL step out in front of you.

Last edited:
About the same sort of list I would start with!! My pet hate is tailgaters. I'm thinking of rigging up an oil spray, windscreen height :amuse:

Brill idea. I previously has a car with a pair of hi-intensity rear lights. I found that flicking them on whilst also flooring the go-pedal put about a 100 yards between us. Wouldn't you just love some kind of heat-seeking missile or just one of those electro-magnetic thingies they used in Ocean's Eleven to zap their engine management module (your of course would be EMP-protected)?

PEOPLE WHO DRIVE HORSE LORRIES OR TOW HORSE BOX'S, What gives someones "Leisure activity" the god given right to slow the rest of us down. I do my best to bully them on the road, like it or not thats me and my agenda. Rant over