what gearbox ratio

ady40

Car
nova 1.6gte
hi guys im running a 1.6gte nova lump in a corsa as a stockhatch and am having some questions as to do i have the correct gearbox ratio/box alltogether im after best acceleration and fastest speed i can get in second gear and have been told so much about different boxs dont know which one will be best to use so any help will be appreciated
cheers ady

It's always a compromise. Supercar makers often used to arrange things so that their cars hit 60mph in first gear, which made for a superb 0-60 time but led to the cars feeling slow in second gear.

What are you actually trying to do? In general, lower ratios mean better acceleration but if, for example, you have to make 4 changes just to get to 50mph then clearly that's no use to anyone. All the time spent changing will slow you down massively.

Remember that gear 'numbers' are only ordinals. They are not representative of the gear ratio at all.

hi guys its a track car and only get into 2nd gear ever just need to get off the line with excellent acceleration and a high speed in second gear cheers

OK - but what do you mean by high speed? 50mph? 120mph????

What sort of event are we discussing?

It might still be worth using a very low final drive so that 3rd is available as well. But you really need to give us all a bit more information.

hi i use it for grasstrack its a stockhatch normally on mud or shale
its a 1.6gte not sure of year hope this helps

as fast as in can its an oval track so corners do slow u down not sure this answers ur question

as fast as in can its an oval track so corners do slow u down not sure this answers ur question

Clearly it doesn't answer my question.

Please will you be a little more informative.

There's a plethora of information available here at Torque Cars, but none of us can offer any useful and relevant information if you are not forthcoming with details when asked directly to supply details.

I am quite bright - wrong, I am incredibly bright, but I have not yet mastered telepathy.

So, what kind of speeds are you looking for in 2nd gear? Must it be second gear?

If so, then:- why?

Last edited:
hi im not trying to skirt round answering your question its just i dont run a speedo and wouldnt like to guess what speed, all i can say is i need the fastest acceleration i can get with the fastest second gear i can choose, im really sorry if its a bit vaigue but i never get out of secong gear so thats why it needs to be good, thanks for your replies. i could take cogs from different boxs to build a good gearbox or just put in a spefic one just need to know which way to go for best results:confused:

Unless of course you chose a very very short final drive and could make us of third as well.

How about giving me the lap times and the perimeter length of the track? That way we can work out at least a mean average speed.