What exhaust system?

leo900

Car
Astra MK5
Hey.

Was just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I want to get a new exhaust system, something that will give a nice sound but nothing too loud and a little bit of added performance.

Too be honest I like the trim I already have as standard on my car so if there is another way to get performance / sound out of it then what would be best to buy and get fitted?

- Cheers

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

You could go the custom route through companies like Powerflow, Longlife or Magnaflow. Talk to the technician first and explain to him what kind of sound your looking for, they will tell what can and can't be done. Ring round and chat and get some quotes in as prices vary wildly. Also please remember that for the first two to three weeks your exhaust note will sound a little rough possibly even raucous while the inside of the stainless steel pipes and boxes start to get coated with carbon from the exhaust, your exhaust note will change yet again after this.

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

You could go the custom route through companies like Powerflow, Longlife or Magnaflow. Talk to the technician first and explain to him what kind of sound your looking for, they will tell what can and can't be done. Ring round and chat and get some quotes in as prices vary wildly. Also please remember that for the first two to three weeks your exhaust note will sound a little rough possibly even raucous while the inside of the stainless steel pipes and boxes start to get coated with carbon from the exhaust, your exhaust note will change yet again after this.

Thanks got the advice. I think I'm going to get a powerflow back box purely for the sound as I had one on my old car and if I got the whole system of wouldn't really be worth it as any performance gains would be minimal. Also, if I did want to add performance gains to it in the future, is it possible to add parts after I have had the back box fitted, parts that will improve performance?

- cheers

Yes you can add parts later on to improve performance, your only limiting factor is your wallet. Have the exhaust back box replaced and a performance air filter panel installed then get the car fully serviced; now look to get a remap done to the ECU to release a little more power & performance. You will be looking anywhere between £100 and £500 depending where you go and who you use to remap your car.
One of our recommended traders JF Automotive should be able to advise you on what you can expect from them with your car.

Good luck :)

Yes you can add parts later on to improve performance, your only limiting factor is your wallet. Have the exhaust back box replaced and a performance air filter panel installed then get the car fully serviced; now look to get a remap done to the ECU to release a little more power & performance. You will be looking anywhere between £100 and £500 depending where you go and who you use to remap your car.
One of our recommended traders JF Automotive should be able to advise you on what you can expect from them with your car.

Good luck :)

Yeah i've already got a good air filter fitted and I am saving up for a RE-MAP. At least I know I can always add parts to the exhaust system in stages if I wanted to. :)

Hey.

Was just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I want to get a new exhaust system, something that will give a nice sound but nothing too loud and a little bit of added performance.

Too be honest I like the trim I already have as standard on my car so if there is another way to get performance / sound out of it then what would be best to buy and get fitted?

- Cheers

most companies offering bespoke systems like power flow etc will try and sell you a one box cat back system, these will almost always loud so insist on a middle box as well, you can also have a high flow cat if funds allow or a decat if your feeling naughty. But remember fitting a decat will also make your car louder.

Ask around about local companies, franchised dealers are not all the same and quality varies from one company to another. Where are you based? Maybe someone on here can point you towards a reputable local firm.:D

Off-the-shelf exhausts are generally better than the likes of Powerflow as they are made using research. Not some guy with a pipe bender and a welder.

A backbox will do nothing but give noise. You'll also have to be careful what backbox you choose though as you might cause more back pressure and a loss in performance. Exhausts will never give massive gains on nasp engines but do improve throttle response so are worth it if you are combining them with other mods.

When you say air filter are you talking panel filter or a cone?