What else can you put in tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We had a thread on Nitrogen, but I was wondering what other exotic gasses and the like could you put into a tyre?

What about liquid? Would this keep them cool or would the weight cause more problem that it's worth?

:)

After much experimentation I have discovered that a gas mix of approx 80% nitrogen 20% oxygen works very well and is cheap to aquire. Using this gas means that you have only around 10% less nitrogen than if your tyres were filled with nitrogen by the likes of KwikFit.

Also, as the oxygen in the gas I use (let's call it 'air') leaks out slightly quicker than the nitrogen, after a few top ups the level of nitrogen in my tyres will approach what KwikFit can manage anyway :)

Liquids are non compressable so the tyres would be solid apart from any deformation of the rubber. It would be worse than solid rubber tyres :)

Wow just 50p for air, I'm surprised that more performance car enthusiasts haven't caught on to this yet.

I'm off to fill my tyres with this magical air stuff! I might even see if I can find other uses for it. I Don't suppose I could mix it with fuel and get the engine to burn it as well?