What does water wetter do.

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I've heard of some stuff called water wetter. You add it to your antifreeze. Does anyone know what it does and if it helps the cars performance or does it just last longer.

There's a similar product by Royal Purple called Purple Ice. They work by reducing the surface tension of the coolant thereby supposedly increasing contact with water ways in the engine and radiator etc. Whether either work is open to debate. There are reports that it's not a good idea to mix these with modern OAT coolants as they can lead to premature coolant pump failure.

I've never tried either. My recommendation is to fit an oil cooler before you even consider adding magic cheimicals to the cooling system.

Again, I agree with HD. Blo**dy hell, twice in less than an hour!

Lots of these on sale, all claiming to lower water temperatures by around 30 degrees C. As HD says, they break down the surface tension of the water, thereby reducing the size and number of air bubbles that attach themselves to the water jacket walls. This increases the surface area of water in contact with the water jacket, thereby increasing its thermal transfer performance.

However, I have seen test results that cast doubt on the manufacturers' claims.

This stuff is like rad weld. A quick bodge to a faulty or insufficient cooling system. If your car overheats it needs either fixing, or the cooling system upgrading, i.e. oil cooler, bigger radiator, higher flo water pump. The only additive I will ever use in a car is a good quality fuel system cleaner additive.

Redline water Wetter and Purple Ice are not sealants - they do, as OG and I have already stated, reduce the surface tension of the water in a bid to increase heat transfer rates.

I

I....

What Hdi? Are you ok? Quick someone call an ambulance he's probably fainted! Was it having OG agree with something :lol: :lol:

OG and I actually get along very well and share quite a few opinions. It's just that when our opinions differ neither of us will budge. And that's fair enough. Even if I disagree with your opinion I'll defend your right to hold it.

Redline water Wetter and Purple Ice are not sealants - they do, as OG and I have already stated, reduce the surface tension of the water in a bid to increase heat transfer rates.

I

I never said they were. ;) I was just stating that they are a quick fix for an insufficient cooling system (like radweld s for a leeky system) and if you need to use them, there is probably a fault somewhere that should be remidied or something needs upgrading (i.e. bigger rad, more efficient fan or high flo pump).

That's fair point fingers. Not all ailments can be fixed with a bottle of magic water. Much like the oil additives. I avoid them at all costs. Yet strangely I think that forte's gas and diesel treatments work well.

Funny that, we use Forte fuel treatments at work, often to get cars through the emissions part of the MOT. You cant beat a bottle of Forte fuel treatment and a good thrashin down the A120, works a treat

That's fair point fingers. Not all ailments can be fixed with a bottle of magic water. Much like the oil additives. I avoid them at all costs. Yet strangely I think that forte's gas and diesel treatments work well.

But we all use antifreeze, do we not? That is a water addative :) And engine oil is crammed full of addatives by the manufacturers.

Water is a good conductor of heat, but it requires contact with a heat exchanger, Air is not a good conductor, so if there is an addative that reduces the amount of air between the water and heat exchanger, is that a bad thing?

The purpose of water wetter is brilliant. It's the fact that I've heard stories (and they may be just those) that it can cause water pump seal failure that puts me off. I was, at one point, intending to try it.