what does this light mean on my e36 ?

geraint13

Pro Tuner
Car
Zafira 1.9 SRI
this light came on today after a heavy braking stint after a merc thought he could pull off quicker than F1 car. any way, i know my pads are looking quite worn so was wondering if it was a warning light for that.
the light on the right is the handbrake light, its the one next to it.

IMG0053A.jpg

IMG0056A.jpg

IMG0057A.jpg

sorry bout the quality, my phone is pants lmao

Attachments

• IMG0054A.jpg
    IMG0054A.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG0055A.jpg
    IMG0055A.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 8
Try it with the flash on, it's overexposing at the moment. Alternatively set it to spot metering and spot meter the light itself. ;)

from Gee, i know my pads are looking quite worn so was wondering if it was a warning light for that.

Pads low and your still on the road? let me know when your driving around next and where Gee, and i'll make sure that I take the bus :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol::lol: Maybe Gee uses the Fred Flintstone approach to stopping or tries to use the "Force" instead! if it's good enough to stop the Empire then it will certainly stop a BMW :lol:

bought the pads gentlemen, didnt fit them 2day as its rather wet outside, if its still raining tommorow will get the big umbrella out lol

could of done with the anchor today

Just to confirm that the handbook says brake pads too!

For future reference from left to right the lights mean:

1/ Front fog lights
2/ Rear fog lights
3/ Preheating
4/ Electronic fuel injection control
5/ Roll over protection system
6/ Indicators
7/ Shift electronics for automatic transmission
8/ Fasten seat belt
9/ ABS
10/ Brake pad wear
11/ Brake hydraulics
12/ Handbrake
13/ Airbag

I ignored my pad warning light for 400 miles and needed to get new discs as the metal part of the calipers cut into them! :eek: Don't delay, at least take off the wheels and check the pad depth manually.

pads changed on weekend, to the cost of £33, had bout 5mm left all round, light off, but did flicker for a while afterwards. :confused:

Thanks for the update Gee! I was getting tired of having to leave my car at home and having to take the bus into work until you got your brakes done! :bigsmile:

Have discovered that you meet some very strange characters on a bus these days! :lol:

the light came back on today and refuses to go off. checked th wer indicators and they seem clean enough and have made sure that they are in proper, dont know lol

shame i was going to say cut the lead off the old pad, strip the wiring back and connect the wires together and refit. this would fool the sensor into thinking the pad is fine.
other option is to disconnect the sensor wire and connect something across the pins to see if the light goes out.

dont drive like this of course

My BMW has sensors which are purchased separately from the pads themselves. If the pads are replaced before the light comes on then the old sensors can be refitted to the new pads.