What does speed detectors tell you about their owners

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If someone goes out and buys a speed camera detector or some kind of warning device does this tell you something about the driver?

Do you think it means that the driver is admitting he wants to speed and doesn't want to get caught, is he saying it is ok to speed or perhaps you might feel that the driver is just paranoid about accidentally exceeding the speed limit.

Also do you have a speed camera detector?

Come on Guys!
Of course, there are drivers with or without detectors who love to get the pedal to the metal:blink:
There may be ample signs to warn you that you arer approaching them BUT.... There are signs to let you know that speed reductions are ahead and, can you honestly say that you have reduced your speed to the 40 or 30 by the time you actually cross that imaginary boundary WITHOUT changing down or braking??:blink:
So, if; like me you pass the camera doing 32 or 43 that isnt speeding but it is still a £60 fine and points:sad2:
Its an increase in your next Insurance quote too:amazed:
I had one of these Inforad units (still in a drawer!!) not in this car though.
Travelling on the A1 to Canterbury from Wakefield for a Holiday it would start to beep to warn of camera/s and also to indicate when passed their range??
At one point it beeped for in then out then, almost immediately; in again.It did this for several times:confused:
By the by, I wasn't unobservant either as there were NO indications of these 'traps' anywhere.
Do drivers buy these gadgets to defeat cameras and other devices? Yes, some do.
Others might decide that they are useful to try to prevent job loss?
In different parts of the country a driver might have a gadget of some kind like this only to be stopped and booked by a PO in an unmarked car that has followed him for at least the minimum required distance to get the dreaded reading.
There are traffic cameras in towns, on R/abouts and Mway bridges. so many places that it is a wonder that any speeder gets away with it:amazed:
Though obvious speeders might get away with it time after time, others don't and whatever gadget one has it can only be observance of the limits that will continue to keep you a clean licence (in this matter anyway:bigsmile:)
If someone goes out and buys a speed camera detector or some kind of warning device does this tell you something about the driver?

Do you think it means that the driver is admitting he wants to speed and doesn't want to get caught, is he saying it is ok to speed or perhaps you might feel that the driver is just paranoid about accidentally exceeding the speed limit.

Also do you have a speed camera detector?

They have a place and many people who use them are actually very sensible drivers who plan their driving beautifully.

This is a massive discussion point and it will inevitably lead to the usual pro/anti speed camera, mobile camera, police speed trap disputes.

There is an argument we can consider which is that speed traps (whatever form they take) send out a message that it's OK to drive badly, just do so within the posted speed limit.

ACPO guidelines suggest 10% + 2mph as a minimum before any action is taken. In reality the threshold usually is somewhat higher than that. Especially in the case of covert speed traps.

Which is fine.

Now, there's a regular tally-van on the A421 Tingewick bypass. 70mph dual carriageway, loads of vision, and I genuinely think that 80-100mph on that stretch of road is quite safe. Provided of course, that you keep your eyes well ahead and plan your drive accordingly.

Yet many people get clobbered on that road by the tally-van. It's visible for over 1/2 mile before you're likely to be within 'clobbering' range.

So, why is it so many people get clobbered?

A: Simply because they're paying no attention at all to their driving.

We could argue that they were not doing anything dangerous but my point is that they're choosing to drive at speeds significantly in excess of the speed limit yet they are clearly not paying attention to the road ahead.

So, OK, they get a FPN and fork out the sixty quid, take the three points etc. This alone will not make them better drivers, it will not necssarily make them look or think any further ahead.

But, if it means they drive at 68mph instead of 86mph then if they are involved in a RTC the damage will be less severe.

I hate to bring it down to this level of simplicity but I'd rather be hit by a moron doing 68mph than be hit by a moron doing 86mph.

What worries me more is the 45 plus MPH which so many see fit to employ on restricted roads.

So. to own a speed trap detector is not a bad thing but I think it will very possibly tell a chilling story of its owner and operator's attitudes to driving.

Yet my severe collision last year was caused by a driver doing under 4mph. What do we make of that???

She was going at 4mph, that is a speed so speed kills or causes accidents.

Not even you could deny that the accident wouldn't have happened if you were both stationary. Hey perhaps that's what the road safety lobby want after all, a total gridlock.

Not even you could deny that the accident wouldn't have happened if you were both stationary. Hey perhaps that's what the road safety lobby want after all, a total gridlock.

I won't deny that. It's bloody obvious. But to what avail?

I didn't purposely go out and buy a speed camera detector,it's built into my TOMTOM twatnav.:amuse:

There's a time and place for speeding.

When's the M25 challenge take place again?lol.

As usual we can rely on HDi to give good advice But.......
I am surprised by mention of a 'clobbering range':confused:
IIRC (from Police sources):blink:
The range of detection devices used is simply " within visible......."
That seems to indicate that if this snooper van device is pointing down a section of highway that is well beyond 1/2 mile then a speeder has already been 'clobbered':(.
I suspect that someone will inform me/us that the 'ticket' states mention of the distance within which (apparently?) it was recorded:cheesy:
Though I am not in favour of Big Brother tactics I do sometimes wonder IF the guy who has passed me, and others; on an Mway at well over 100mph has been registered by cameras on bridges or gantries and subsequently fined.
When you get done at 32 in a 30 you do get a bit paranoid that real speeders might be getting away with it:sad2:
As Xmas approaches I have things to do so quotes and replies to might be lacking.
(All those who shouted Hooray! we know where you live:lol::lol:)
They have a place and many people who use them are actually very sensible drivers who plan their driving beautifully.

This is a massive discussion point and it will inevitably lead to the usual pro/anti speed camera, mobile camera, police speed trap disputes.

There is an argument we can consider which is that speed traps (whatever form they take) send out a message that it's OK to drive badly, just do so within the posted speed limit.

ACPO guidelines suggest 10% + 2mph as a minimum before any action is taken. In reality the threshold usually is somewhat higher than that. Especially in the case of covert speed traps.

Which is fine.

Now, there's a regular tally-van on the A421 Tingewick bypass. 70mph dual carriageway, loads of vision, and I genuinely think that 80-100mph on that stretch of road is quite safe. Provided of course, that you keep your eyes well ahead and plan your drive accordingly.

Yet many people get clobbered on that road by the tally-van. It's visible for over 1/2 mile before you're likely to be within 'clobbering' range.

So, why is it so many people get clobbered?

A: Simply because they're paying no attention at all to their driving.

We could argue that they were not doing anything dangerous but my point is that they're choosing to drive at speeds significantly in excess of the speed limit yet they are clearly not paying attention to the road ahead.

So, OK, they get a FPN and fork out the sixty quid, take the three points etc. This alone will not make them better drivers, it will not necssarily make them look or think any further ahead.

But, if it means they drive at 68mph instead of 86mph then if they are involved in a RTC the damage will be less severe.

I hate to bring it down to this level of simplicity but I'd rather be hit by a moron doing 68mph than be hit by a moron doing 86mph.

What worries me more is the 45 plus MPH which so many see fit to employ on restricted roads.

So. to own a speed trap detector is not a bad thing but I think it will very possibly tell a chilling story of its owner and operator's attitudes to driving.

Yet my severe collision last year was caused by a driver doing under 4mph. What do we make of that???

I had one years back. I had just been done for 3 points, and could only get 6 in the first two years. So I got one to be on the safe side. Never use it now.

A lot of the time, people dont get them to warn about fixed cameras. More police hot spots, cos you can download them from the tinterweb :amuse:

That particular accident wouldn't have happened if I was driving at, let's say, 150mph because I'd have been a couple of miles past the point where it occurred when the other driver emerged from the side road.

I don't recall mentioning the gender of the other driver so can we replace 'She' with 'It' in the interests of accuracy and disambiguity.

I have one and have used it for years now. It has saved me a few times especially when abroad but it can also cause problems, Once I was going blah blah MPH on the m40 (very fast) with someone up my trumpet going the same speed. the detector went off so I hit the anchors, needless to say matey behind me was very unhappy and probably wondered why I'd apparently braked for no reason......I wonder if he got caught up the road. Still the speed we were doing we would have got banned..possibly

I bet you are well good at crosswords HDI. I have got a whole pile of papers with the crosswords half done if you want them.:D I have yet to complete one! :embarrest: Closest I got was 4 away.