What do you think is the best engine

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There are so many types of engine and manufacturers out there I was wondering which engines you particularly rate?

Do you have a best engine topping your list or just a few worthy contenders?

The 3.0D BMW is pretty impressive, for sound and power it has to be a 2.5 Subaru Boxer engine for me.

a few come to mind
in no particular order

rb26/30
ford cosworth "y?" (dont know the designation but im sure i will be put right)
honda vtec
supra 1jz
to be fair I think you would need to include an american v8 but dont know whats best

plenty of others but i tried to keep to 3 (and failed)

I'd give merit points to BMW's 3.0 Diesel. Not as the best as best is very subjective and thus hard to quantify. BMW is good at engines in general, and the 2993cc straight six diesel is a peach to use. In twin turbo form (badged *35d) it's seriously punchy. I haven't yet managed to get anywhere near the tri-turbo derivative.

I am also interested in the Mondeo 1.0 Ecoboost 3 cylinder petrol.

The polar opposite is Tesla's dual motor Model S cars. Do plug in EVs qualify for consideration?

My old 4G63 may not be the best they have so many options from stroking to increase capacity to destroking and the option of long or short rods with various piston pin heights to suit.
For example in a 4G64 block one can use a higher pin height piston that will allow a longer rod that will give a better rod ratio that allows for a safe higher rev limit
The best choice seems to be the 2.2 combination.

Cranks available off the shelf include 88mm,92mm,94mm 100mm and a 105mm and can be installed in both the 63 & 64 blocks.

For example is fitting a stock 2 litre 4G63 88mm crank in a 2.4 cc 64 block gives the option of using rod lengths of 6mm and 12mm longer to get the best rod ratio (6mm longer with stock pin height pistons or 12mm longer with stroker pin height pistons)

FYI the 64 block deck height is 6mm higher than a 63 block
https://www.google.com.au/#q=dsmtuners+strokers

Last edited:
The Cosworth YB engine in '200' block form has great tuning Potential. Originally 205bhp it was producing up to 580bhp in qualification trim in the RS500 touring cars. By the late 1990's the better Road Tuners had surpassed those numbers. By 2004 I was running 690bhp in my road car. We thought perhaps low 700's would be the limit but by 2008 my road car had 838bhp/666ft-lb. In drag form & deffo not a road friendly engine 1000bhp was passed a few years back. Today with latest Electronics, EFR Turbo's & fancy fuels we are looking at 940bhp from a road friendly engine that spools sooner than the Touring cars with 580bhp in the 80's. Remember it started as a Pinto Block with 60bhp in the 1960's. It may not be best because that's subjective & cant be measured but it sure is impressive what Cosworth started in 1986.
Today we use longer rods to get the correct angles that allow this old engine to use 9k rpm if a dry sump system is fitted.

Being forward thinking I'd throw a vote towards anything by Tesla. They generate more torque, more power, use less "fuel", and are the way forward :)

For racing the term BEST brings a whole different aspect.

For us driving on daily commutes BEST can mean different things depending on the drivers needs and characteristics.