what do you consider a proper jeep?

Hansi

Track Warrior
Car
Getz GLS 1.6
What do you british members and from other nationalities a proper jeep is?

Put in what you think and I will put my standards up soon when I have seen what at least a few of you think:)

a proper big off roader sort of thing defender 90 and 110 spring to mind

no matter how nice a lot of soft roaders look theres no way they would cope proper off road, BMW X3 and 5 porche etc

For me its got to have lots of power. A humvee style affair with open sides. Jeeps are not supposed to be luxurious in my book so I agree with PG that the X5 and Cayennes are out.

Ok, here is my defenition...

It isn't one of those sporty,luxury jeeps like BMW or Porche.

It has decent wheels:
at least 38-42" minimum for bigger jeeps
33-35" will do for smaller jeeps like Grand Witara or
Jimmy

And of course for the snowy winters here in Iceland some proper fog lights...

I will put in shortly a link to a real jeep shortly... A Dodge Ram 3500 on 46" tires

I can call some unmodified jeeps jeeps like the Pathfinder or Patrol but not the smaller ones that they are calling sport jeeps

They are more monsters than jeeps! Bring on the Dodge Ram link then Hansi. (I hope you don't mind me saying this Hansi but you often use W instead of V - Witara instead of Vitara and Wery instead of Very. Its a common mistake for some language groups but I guess if no-one tells you then you will never know! Your english is excellent by the way!)

Here's the Link:
http://www.bilasolur.is/Main.asp?sh...=10600&VERD_TIL=11200&EXCLUDE_BILAR_ID=104803

And Waynne thank's for telling me that. The one about the Vitara usually doesn't happen but about the very is something that is good to know I'm writing wrong.

And thanks for the compliment. I am trying to improve my english by using these english sites

That link is just temporary I'm working on putting some photos of it on my site and there will be more pics there

http://hansi.bloggar.is/album/45044/

here are mor pics. The Ram is rather large so the tires don't actually look that big on it.

I'm not shure about the prize of the tires but to modify a Nissan Patrol for 44" tires costs I think around 2 million isk which is about 15.000 pounds

So it's not the cheapest modification but it's worth it because I just love to take a big jeep up to the glaciers or just the mountains over the winter.:cool:

Unfortunatly I only saw the first four minutes of the video but it looked like a nice example for this kind of jeeps. This is one of the most popular motorsport in Iceland even people from Sweden and Norway and probably some other countries have started competing in it.

A proper jeep, is one with big tires, has differential locking option, high torque at low gear ratio 4:1 for rock crawling, skid plate, winch, fog lights, and heavy duty bumpers. I agree that it is not X5 or Cayenne those are SUVs. Finally it is manufactured by Chrysler, other than that it is called SUV, off-road vehicle, truck, or 4x4.

That's my opinion on Jeeps ;)

But your truck is cool Hansi. Nice work.

Last edited:
A proper jeep, is one with big tires, has differential locking option, high torque at low gear ratio 4:1 for rock crawling, skid plate, winch, fog lights, and heavy duty bumpers. I agree that it is not X5 or Cayenne those are SUVs. Finally it is manufactured by Chrysler, other than that it is called SUV, off-road vehicle, truck, or 4x4.

That's my opinion on Jeeps ;)

But your truck is cool Hansi. Nice work.

I agree all other 4x4's are simply 4x4's a JEEP is a real authentic Jeep and manufactured by Jeep - If you want to know what is the best 4x4 then it would be a Jeep Wrangler

something like this

steve09-albums-classics-picture1079-jacked-up-hilux.jpg

Last edited:
Found some old pic's on my camera of a car I saw on Car Days in June. This is a Dodge Ram 3500 on a 54" tires and a Cummins Diesil Turbocharged engine.

Enjoy

Is this the old "Hoover the carpet" arguement where you are technically using a Dyson not a Hoover?

Has the word Jeep made it from a brand into a category. I am just playing devils advocate here and probably am more inclined to Jeeps being a specific brand.

By the way what mods have you done to yours Scottish Cherokee? (Hello as well and welcome!)

I definetly see Jeep as a specific brand.

Not mand mods yet, i have 3 cherokees.
1991 LHD 4liter auto (awaiting top end engine repair/mods)
1995 RHD 4liter auto with diy snorkel(awaiting bottom end engine repair)
1995 RHD 2.5liter manual (awaiting tyres and sump plug re-thread)
Also have a 2004 Fiat Panda
Planning on selling the 2.5 jeep though.

Wow you have quite a collection of Jeeps! I bet the 2.5 feels underpowered compared to the 4.0! ;) Have you been breaking the engines yourself then? Is that cos you drive them hard?

The 2.5's sump plug was broken by a ham fisted previous owner.
The RHD 4 has a dammaged crankshaft thrust bearing.
The LHD 4 has unknown bottom end problems but a new head(previous owner replaced cracked head) but it keeps loosing oil pressure at idle. so i have a spare 4litre with a dodgy top end, so i can swap parts and tinker at the same time.

Keep us posted with how they go. Love to learn about what your tinkering ends up with? I know I can get a bit carried away at times. ;)

A Willy's of course, preferably a1940 to 1945, 50-50 weight distribution very easy to totally strip & rebuild great fun to drive, only draw back, 3 speed box. ( I think ).

Good necro.
Very old OP, previous necro already in place, and comment with nothing to do with the OP or topic.
I give this bot 2/8. Must try harder next time.