What do we all make of this then????

2fast2catch

Torque Master
Car
punto
(Taken from link - http://www.yell.com/motoring/blog/wave-goodbye-to-engine-transplants/ )

For many years the quickest route (no pun intended) to obscene performance for any keen petrolhead has always been to switch engines. Goodbye to pants small capacity lump, hello to same marque more powerful version, or in some cases, a totally different engine altogether. After all… who wouldn’t fancy a Mini Clubman with a Chevy V8 or a VW Beetle with a turbocharged Subaru flat four out back? You’d be mad not to, right? Hold hour brake horses.
Recent legislation from the DVLA (August 3rd 2009) suggests that your motor swap with mates is now impossible. Shocking and downright pointless legislation in the form of the latest Individual Vehicle Approval test suggests that the age of the DIY engine swap has come to a halt. And guess what, it’s all been driven through by European Legislation, so we’ve got the EU to blame.

It’s absurd, seals the fate of the home modifier and looks set to rain on any number of built-to-a-strict-budget project cars that are currently in development, mine included.

Not only that, but if you choose to go through with the conversion you won’t be able to register it legitimately using the V5 reg document because the DVLA say that any conversion performed outside of a registered garage will require the following:

* Receipt of purchase from a garage on headed paper confirming engine number, capacity and fuel type
* If your existing engine has been converted, written evidence on headed paper from the garage who carried out the work.
* An inspection report from a body such as the AA, RAC or qualified assessor.
* An separate inspection report for insurance purposes
* Written confirmation from the manufacturer confirming engine number and size

Could this spell the end of high power, home brew modified cars as we know them and can the tuning industry survive such a blow?​

It just means that work has to be done properly and will need to be checked by a competent body and backed up with an engineers report. I don't see this as the end of engine swaps but it will put off a lot of ameteurs.

Most insurers will ask for an engineers report anyway so there is not really anything lost here.

Similar hoops need to be gone through to do a petrol to diesel conversion and despite the tougher regulations on Kit cars we still have a thriving kit car industry.

I'd be curious to read the actual legislation rather than a bloggers interpretation of it.

if this is right then: Dream on Euro Nazi regulations - get close with your local garage, make sure the guys do all your mot's etc and then they will give you the engineers reports.

This is damn ridiculous. we are abused to pay ridiculous taxes for owing vehicles and now throw more and more regulations into the mix. One sure way to have more uninsured drivers on the road is through crap regulations like this. This really really gets my goat.

Further more, i serverely doubt that the AA and RAC have that many people working from them that could give a qualified assessment. And can you imagine them coming to test your vehicle out, going for a drive with them and explaining the facts of life if they dont give you the green light.

Just more Eurocratic regulations - We are British - not European.

if this is right then: Dream on Euro Nazi regulations - get close with your local garage, make sure the guys do all your mot's etc and then they will give you the engineers reports.

This is damn ridiculous. we are abused to pay ridiculous taxes for owing vehicles and now throw more and more regulations into the mix. One sure way to have more uninsured drivers on the road is through crap regulations like this. This really really gets my goat.

Further more, i serverely doubt that the AA and RAC have that many people working from them that could give a qualified assessment. And can you imagine them coming to test your vehicle out, going for a drive with them and explaining the facts of life if they dont give you the green light.

Just more Eurocratic regulations - We are British - not European.

It's not Eurocracy that's the problem in Britain. It's typical of the current British Government to apply it without applying common sense first. Or, at all, to be honest.

How and why the government sees itself fit to pass laws is beyond me. Law was traditionally a matter for the judicial system.

Acts of Parliament do not, in themselves, constitute laws. Anyone accused of breaching one of the many hundreds of New Laws under New Labour would do well to consult the EHCR for guidance. It might well prove to be the driver's best buddy.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back