what counts as small?

stubydoo

Car
standard almera 1.5
Been reading how its not worth tuning small engines but what is small? Got an almera 1.5 16v that i want to put an exhaust and intake kit on. Should i just save my money or take up golf?

The gains are not usually huge with any naturally aspirated car and what you do get will be at the top end of the rev range anyway. You'll also incur a disproportionate amount of noise unfortunately.

I can't imagine more than 8-10 extra bhp.

^^ Agreed, I would be inclined to enjoy the car for what it is and save up for something more tunable.

^^^ good plan ^^^ especially in this country. Especially at the moment :-D

Save your cash and buy a common rail diesel. These are by far the easiest to tune by means of ECU remapping and the results are sensational.

^^^ good plan ^^^ especially in this country. Especially at the moment :-D

Save your cash and buy a common rail diesel. These are by far the easiest to tune by means of ECU remapping and the results are sensational.

Interesting, thought i was seeing a lot more hot diesels these days. Ha, the problem with the heater is it only kicks out hot air, want it fixed for summer!

Diesel's changed hugely since about 1999/2000. 200bhp+ in standard tune is quite commonplace now even for two litre four cylinder units. Plus the stupendous midrange torque you get a very very rapid drive indeed. It would be my route of choice for performance.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back