What could possibly go wrong ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Recently I have learned that some Euro makes have timing chains at the back of the block That are supposedly a "lifetime "job But should the chain stretch, the guide wear out or the the tension-er fail the motor has to come out.

What engineering genius thought that that would be a good idea ? .V(

Also the Jag F Pace has the clutch slave cylinder mounted INSIDE the bell housing with no external access so the gearbox has to be removed if it develops a leaking seal and how do you bleed it ?.Just plain dumb IMO. I would think that most would be sold with an auto transmission.

Feel free to add to the list of stupid ,silly mistakes by supposedly the best and brightest engineers and designers.

PS I would add "interference"cylinder heads with belts turning the cams to the list as well.

Last edited:
I've never ever agreed with the recommended life spans of timing belts or chains. They cost far less to replace than repair an engine where one has failed.

If cars break then the hope is people go out and buy new ones. It's built in obsolescence! If car makers could force all of their cars to die at 10 years old they would make a fortune in selling parts and new cars.