What car should i buy?

J0K3R

Tuner
Car
2.3 Prelude
So i want to spend preferably under 1500, with a 1.8 engine, 5 door, boot space and the potential for the engine to be juiced for alot of power. I've been looking at rover 200's which are kicking out 145 on a stock 1.8, but i thought i'd get the opinion of you lot first. =]

i had a volvo c70 t5 great car and did motor well
but was not a v8 or rwd so had to go

you want a lot of power and from about 1.8 well anything under a 2.0 your not going to get much what i call power only comes from a v8
if not think the lowest i would go now is a v6 but that would have to be about a 3.6-3.8

It's all about power to weight and torque curve anyways :rolleyes: Imagine how quick HDi's oil-burner would actually be if the car didn't weigh 60 bazillion tonnes (cough 1500kgs cough).

Last edited:
I'm still highly confused. You can draw stupid amounts of power from 1.8 engines, more than most stock 2.5's easily. The 2.5 v6 from a mondeo is putting out around 175bhp.

It's all about power to weight and torque curve anyways :rolleyes: Imagine how quick HDi's oil-burner would actually be if the car didn't weigh 60 bazillion tonnes (cough 1500kgs cough).

It's as if Peugeot as gone from the ridiculous to the ridiculous.

Lightweight to overweight and needlesly so.

Indeed! Modern cars seem to be getting heavier and heavier. There's a lot to be said for a nice big sturdy cars though in all fairness.

There is a bit in their favour. But making them simply overweight is pointless. Good design should be a goal. Cars can be rigid in structure and thus offer good handling and collision protection to the occupants without being simply overweight.

Creature comforts weigh heavily. I like the electric seats etc but I could manage without 'em.

Cars can be engineered to be sturdy and with crumple zones without the current trait of making 'em quite so heavy.

We all used to refer to older big cars (I owned and drove a couple of AR Montegos). They were described as being built like tanks. THey weren't! THey were flimsy!

But they were heavy to drive even with ridiculously over-assisted steering and they were just under 1000kg

Just repeatin what i've picked up from other people. I'm quite new to all this car gubbins. Eager to learn though so please feel free to set me straight. =]

I'm still highly confused. You can draw stupid amounts of power from 1.8 engines, more than most stock 2.5's easily. The 2.5 v6 from a mondeo is putting out around 175bhp.

Not true. A 2.5 will just need to be configured differently. It may cost you more to tune a 2.5 but you will definitely get more power from 2.5 rather than 1.8.
What about a Vectra Sri? I know they are 2 litre but they aren't that expensive on insurance and have good scope for tuning?
Or a Nissan Primera Gt?

Anything with the VAG 1.8T petrol engine should be good for 200-300BHP with suitable modifications. Its also one of the easiest engines to upgrade/modify.

He stated a 1.8 can produce the same power or more as a stock 2.5...that's easily achievable. I've got a 1.3 making more power than most 2.0s....

The 200SX and 180 is worth a look. Fairly cheap, RWD and lots of tuning parts around plus as its a turbo you get major power hikes for relatively low cost.

I've been offered a daewoo espera 2.0 for 150. Only thing wrong with it is that the idle cuts out after 30 odd seconds when the engine is cold. What could cause this and how easy would it be to repair?

VW - golf, bora, passat
Seat- leon, ibiza, toledo,
Audi - A3,A4,A6 possibly A8, TT
Skoda - octavia

VAG - Volkswagen Audi Group

own all of above, Lamborghini, bentley, Bugatti, and about 66% of scania trucks
think they still own the NAME rolls royce although the licence to trade under it belongs to BMW

But they do not own part of porche its the other way around

sorry TN looks like we were wrong
wikpedia said:
First generation (FE3S)
SE3P File:RX8 FE.jpg
Production 2003–2008
The first version of the RX-8, chassis code FE3S, was produced from model year 2003. It is powered by the RENESIS 13B-MSP (multi side port) #!#!#!#!el rotary engine displacing 1.3 litres (2x654 cc). At launch, the RENESIS was available in standard and high power versions. The 4-port standard RENESIS produced 210 hp (160 kW) and was coupled with either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. The 6-port high power RENESIS was only available with a six-speed manual transmission and was rated at 250 hp (190 kW). For the North American market, Mazda revised the reported output rating of the standard and high power RENESIS soon after lauch to 197 hp (147 kW) and 238 hp (177 kW), espectively.[1] With exhaust ports now located in the side housing, the RENESIS boasted improved fuel efficiency and emissions rating over the 13B-REW employed by the last RX-7, thereby making it possible to be sold in North America.

At launch, the RX-8 was available in various models in different markets around the world. Standard models include:

6-speed manual "High Power" with a claimed output of between 170 kW (231 PS; 228 hp) and 184 kW (250 PS; 247 hp) and a 9,000 rpm redline. This model was equivalent to the "Type S" trim in Japan.
5-speed manual "Standard Power" tuned to 141 kW (192 PS; 189 hp) with the redline reduced to 7,500 rpm. This powertrain combination was not available in North America.
4-speed automatic tuned to 141 kW (192 PS; 189 hp) in some markets, while the U.S. automatic is stated to deliver 158 kW (215 PS; 212 hp) .
6-speed automatic (available in the U.S. market after 2006) developing 158 kW (215 PS; 212 hp) and 159 lb·ft (216 N·m) of torque with a redline at 7,500 rpm.[2] This was the revised standard RENESIS, now with two extra intake ports like the high power version.

:amazed: I guess we have to stand corrected then. After I posted it I did have a suspect that. I think I've seen one in an old Max Power and in the disription they give you the figures. Couldn't quite remember though. I must be thinking of the RX7 that is 1.3 per rotor.

:amazed::D I knew something! Yay! lol. So back to the topic of the thread, does this Daewoo sound like a good idea? Can't really go wrong for 150 quid right?

:amazed::D I knew something! Yay! lol. So back to the topic of the thread, does this Daewoo sound like a good idea? Can't really go wrong for 150 quid right?

If you are planning to buy it to mod then don't bother as there isn't alot of aftermarket products available for the Daewoo's. If I was you i'd look for something more mainstream.