What can i do to a 8v 1.4 clio to improve acceleration?

Oh right

You MUST connect the breather pipe back on mate!!

Otherwise your engine will run like crap and you will probably kill yourself from fumes :)

That's why I am using the original piping that lead around to the original air filter :)!

That's why I was confused when you said that isn't how you have yours...

I suppose if you wanted to... you could have the air filter straight on to the end of your throttle body. But if you do this, you must fit another small filter on to the bit where the breather pipe meets the throttle body (I did before, but the breather pipe filter fell off while driving... waste of ten pounds :( )

ahh okay, but there is no where on my filter to attach the breather pipe too.

and where abouts on the throttle body would i attach the filter if it wasnt on top?

as you can see im a little new to all of this!!

Only on some filters there is a place you can attach the breather too

That is why I am using the standard really wide air pipe that attached from the throttle body to the original air filter... because that has a hole in it that the breather pipe attachs to.

You would attach it like I have.. I am guessing you are not using the U shaped pipe that goes from the throttle body to the air filter (in my picture) ?

mine isnt laid out like that i dont think.

its got a big blue airbox thats sat on top of the throttle body and the breather pipe goes onto the bottom of that air box...?

sounds like you have to same air box as me. My K&N came with a special bracket that secure the throttle body first, and then you just slotted the element part on top of it. also it has a hole in it for the original feeder pipe to slot into ( like the one u say goes on to the bottom) My kit was specific to my engine as a generic kit wouldnt work as the feeder was left out in the open!

i have a 1.2 8v clio all iv done is stripped it owt de-cat and air filter with cold air feed and it gose like a bat owt of hell ,it leaves rudeboys in 1.2 16v and 1.4 corsa's for dust the loook on there face's is pricless even kept up with a few standard 1.6 16v astras before (Y) trust me the best possible modification you could do to a small engined car is stripp it owt, power to weight ratio is more important than anything else :-]

I can honestly say it's ever occured to me that any road car will go like a bat out of hell with a 1200cc engine.

Livlier than standard, stripped out as it is I do not doubt; but bat out of hell?

1.6 16v Astras don't go like bats out of hell either in my opinion. Lively, yes - ish, in a 1.6 Astra kind of a way, but fast, definitely not.

you'd be very very very surprised and with it been on its arse on country roads (lots of tight bends) and a skilled driver not much would keep up with it trust me, just try it 1.2 mk4 fiestas are ment to be rapid stripped owt with a few mods pins you in your seat in 1st 2nd and 3rd apparently !! my friend told me this and he also said that the fiesta is quicker than a 1.8 160 bhp mg zr up to about 70ish, its all about power to weight ratio man

and also bat out of hell is an expression well a song lol has any1 actually seen a bat come out of hell? i just couldn't think of any way to describe it but yeah 1.6 astra's are not super quick i agree but they are 105 bhp standard compared to my 60bhp standard and in terms of power 45bhp is a big differance to get tha much you'd have to spend some good money lol but any ways like i said its all about power to weight

lol yeah your spot on there but there is alot to be taken owt its not the things you can see that weighs alot the soundproofing that is all over the car weighs a hell of a lot and things like the winding mechanisms from the windows i will admit it is 1 #!#!#!#! car to be in it gets very cold and very very loud lol but its all about havin fun :-]

I quite like my high powered fun in quiet, with electric seats (and electric everything else - all of which weighs heavy, I totally agree) but that's a sign of my (sadly) impending 40th birthday.

I suppose if I went to town and removed all the superfluous electrics I could have a really savage road burner.

I think I need a mid-life crisis ;)

Go for it HDI, we can both have a mid life crisis together!

I guess performance is all relative anyway and it is good to push the performance envelope as far as possible. I wouldn't mind betting you could probably have more fun in a stripped out 1.2 Clio that you could in a Factory standard Mk4 Golf Gti ;) (Purely in terms of driver involvement and keeping the thing on the road and in the power band!:D)

It's a shame that the Golf GTi is no longer really a GTi. 20 years ago they were hard handling, firm riding cars that really did set the pace for the genre.

you'd be very very very surprised and with it been on its arse on country roads (lots of tight bends) and a skilled driver not much would keep up with it trust me, just try it 1.2 mk4 fiestas are ment to be rapid stripped owt with a few mods pins you in your seat in 1st 2nd and 3rd apparently !! my friend told me this and he also said that the fiesta is quicker than a 1.8 160 bhp mg zr up to about 70ish, its all about power to weight ratio man

One of the funniest things I've read lately. Clearly never driven or even been in a remotely quick car by the sounds of it. Take this stripped out Fiesta to the pod, bet it'd struggle to get near the 18 second mark pmsl. Rapid maaaayte :lol::lol::lol::lol:

lol your funny never been in a quick car how about a 586 bhp audi a4 or a 437bhp mk4 astra vxr or a 300 and summet bhp ibiza i know what quick is mate dont worry but thats besides the fact i replied to a thread of 'what can i do to a 8v 1.4 clio to improve acceleration?' and said stripping weight is the best thing you could do to a little engined car, any how like that person said yeah it is a very fun car to be in i paid 160 quid for it and it puts a smile on ya face no matter what, isn't that what its all about?

1.2 8v Clio or a 1.2 Fiesta is still slow stripped out or not. Yeah power to weight is important, and those cars are lightweight but still have no power or torque. Fact. Don't try and convince somebody that their 1.4 8v Clio will go like a "bat owt of hell" just because it weighs 900kgs, because it won't.

If you've been in those cars and still think a 1.2 900kg car (assuming it's been quite stripped and not just had the back seats taken out) is "rapid" then you're deluded my friend.

I didn't disagree, stripping weight is the best thing you can do to a little engined car, and it is all about having fun so I'm glad you are. However, thinking your car can be classed as anything other than slow is a mugs game.

My friend told me Santa was real, so he must be.

:lol: A bit harsh MA! I do see your point but the context here is a 1.4 Clio and we respect all cars, and owners regardless of engine size.

I really don't think rattaclio was implying that the car would be fast up against 300bhp alternatives, just that for what it is, its much faster than it should be.:D

waynne you'v got it down to a t :D its all about having fun and every1 is entiteled to there opinions but i can 100% guarentee you'd be suprised lol but me personaly i think it is a great achivement to get a small engined car to spit flames and be so quick. a perfect example of this is the 1.3 polo g40 small engine yes power owt put is only 113bhp but no one can argue that they are not quick and if you do argue against this then i personaly think you should do abit of research on your cars before you come chattin on. . . sorry if i came across as abit of a d@£k then but i think your out of order telling people whats right and wrong when you haven't experianced this your self , we'v all been in quick cars but we haven't all been in budget cars that are in my opinion more fun, not as quick but more FUN and thats what its about. FULL STOP

Do you mean it is literally spitting flames from the tail pipe?

If so, and this is not meant to be patronising, then you really need to stop this happening as it's totally illegal and will make the car a police magnet.

Or delay the ignition timing so that the air/fuel mix is still burning when it leaves the combustion chambers. This does tend to #!#!#!#! up the exhaust valves somewhat.

Or delay the ignition timing so that the air/fuel mix is still burning when it leaves the combustion chambers. This does tend to #!#!#!#! up the exhaust valves somewhat.

Yeah you might see flames on a more powerful car or one that has been mapped to still inject fuel when off throttle but i seriously doubt that a clio engine will have enough power to emit flames (unless you removed the entire exhaust) not to mention the fact that the length of the exhaust and silencers etc will reduce any chance of flames being emitted.

It's not about power, any car with a hot enough exhaust and enough unburnt fuel will flame. I have seen a several 85bhp 1.2 Punto Sportings spit flames with a decat. Blipping the throttle on the overrun at high revs is a good way to provoke flames, used to get them on the Reaper with the Magnex on. Personally I love pops, bangs and flames on something that has a bit of go about it, I'll be getting lots of fuel mapped in on the overrun put it that way ;)

It's perfectly possible that this immensely quick 19 second Clio does emit flames, but it's no "great ahievement".

What a Polo G40 has to do with anything I'm not sure?? They are quickish and would blow a 1.2 8v Clio or Fezza into the weeds. Consequently, when the 1.4 Reaper was on the road she was running 180+bhp, weighed in at around 960kgs and would've mullerred any of the above. Despite this I wouldn't claim it as a "great achievement"; I bolted on a few parts and threw out the interior, WOW! So, you could say I know a thing or two about small capacity, lightweight cars eh Rattaclio. Don't want to turn it into a "my car's better than yours" arguement, just trying to put things into perspective.

I agree that you can make low-powered cars fun, I don't doubt that a stripped 1.2 or 1.4 8v Clio with a few choice mods would be a lot of fun and I most certainly agree you should strip the hell out of it (but do try and retain some sense of weight distribution) but I do NOT agree that a stripped 1.2 8v Clio would go like a "bat owt of hell", is "rapid" nor is any "great achievment" that someone has managed to throw out the interior or leave their car to overfuel.

I'm not trying to piddle on your parade Rattaclio, really I'm not, but you're making rediculous statements like when some chavvy boy racer implies that his car is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not saying you are, but I'm sure you've met the type.

I really fancy a G40 now you're said that :bigsmile: There's a nice-looking example on e-bay too atm for £2.5k.

Last edited:
Why not let the combustion happen inside the combustion chambers?

When done in this (tried, tested and traditional) way it will add to the motive power, torque, linear force, etc. Fuel burnt outside of the combustion chambers offers no performance whatsoever.

Internal combustion engines are not jet engines - chucking unburnt fuel into the exhaust system is wasteful.

It is also very dangerous if it ignites.

Why not let the combustion happen inside the combustion chambers?

When done in this (tried, tested and traditional) way it will add to the motive power, torque, linear force, etc. Fuel burnt outside of the combustion chambers offers no performance whatsoever.

Internal combustion engines are not jet engines - chucking unburnt fuel into the exhaust system is wasteful.

It is also very dangerous if it ignites.

I had a 1.4 8v Rover 200 a while ago and all I did to that was put an induction kit on it and made a de-cat pipe and welded an aftermarket back box on and when I came off the throttle it used to pop and bang and chuck flames out of the exhaust with no ill effects whatsoever other than a bit of noise.

That's the problem though. The noise and flames will attract police attention. You then get pulled - they discover the decat pipe and you wind up with all sorts of problems if they choose to issue a FPN or, worse, prosecute.

Generally, a good officer will ask you to go away, put the car back to standard and present it for inspection within a few days.

That's the problem though. The noise and flames will attract police attention. You then get pulled - they discover the decat pipe and you wind up with all sorts of problems if they choose to issue a FPN or, worse, prosecute.

Generally, a good officer will ask you to go away, put the car back to standard and present it for inspection within a few days.

Honestly....... I never had a problem. Didn't spit flames all the time just when I booted it.

But on that note my mum's Impreza spits flames all the time and thats got the cat on.