What can i do for my mitso

fireice

Car
Mistsubishi Lancer
i recently bought a new mistubishi lancer 2003 with a 1.3L engine (i know tz small!!!:sad2:) and the engine low power is killing me:(
so does any1 have any idea about how to increase the power of my engine?
i thought of replacing my 1.3 engine with 1.5, but my friends told me that it wont do any difference :blink1:
what u ppl think? and if i change to 1.5, do i have to change anything with it? like the ECU, Transmission...etc?:blink:

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome FireIce.

You will need to replace the ecu, wiring and transmission for starters. The suspension will also need to be realigned to cope with the weight difference.

If you are going to all that trouble to drop in a 1.5 wouldn't it make more sense to find an even larger replacement engine? Is there a suitable 2.0 engine? The FTO Mivec might be a suitable candidate.

thank you for your welcoming :)
my GOD! i need to change all that with the 1.5 engine!!! :s
u know waynne, in my country we dont have all that cool customizing things u have, u cant find any1 expert in tuning and modifing vehicles, all they do is they replace the old engine with a 2nd hand engine (used one)
and i asked alot of mechanics about the 1.5 engine and they told me that i dont need to change anything but the engine if it was 1.5, but if it was more than that then the story will be like u said, they told me that i need to change like almost all of the car
so thatz why i decided that the 1.5 is the perfect candidate
but now am having 2nd thoughts about it because....mm am running out of cash to do it :p
so if u can advice me about how to increase the power of my 1.3L engine even if t was little amount i'll be gratful to u

Unfortunatly mate there are very very few engines that can be swapped and run on the same ancilleries. When going for a larger engine you need to allow everything else on the car to keep up with the new extra demand. Such things like your fuel pump and ecu should really be the only external parts needed as injectors, fuel rail. If you go for the bigger engine, even if its onlu 0.1ltr bigger, as a minimum a remap would be needed so the car knows to give the engine its extra fuel etc. Suspension is a biggy as your new engine will be heavier and will either ground out easier or kill the shocks and springs quicker from the extra weight. Then you have to think about stopping the extra power/weight so brakes would be needed aswell.

But as far £££ per BHP, your best bet is actually the 2.0 V6 MVIC FTO engine. They are seriously easy to fit into a Colt or Carisma so why not think about one of those. Pick up a cheap donar car and you can get the brakes, fuel system, ecu, engine, loom everything really and would save you so much in the long run.

But if you wish to go for a cheapest mods and still gain at least something. first things usually on anyones list would be:-

Exhaust system = anything between £150-300 depending on your pocket.
K&N or Pipercross Panel Filter= roughly about £40-60 depending on car.
Remapped= remap rather than chipped as its easier to do again if you add more mods usually costing about £200-300 again depending on car.

That little list will give you a small noticable difference in throttle response, revs and pick up of the engine and should see you about 8-10bhp on a 1.3. The 1.6 gains approx 8bhp when remapped alone.

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back