What brake pads are the best

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What make of brake pads do you think are the best.

My mates all seem to go with whatever the garage give them but I think there is a massive difference.

Long life is not a plus point when it comes to brake pads. I want them to stop the car.

Are EBC Greenstuff any good and what about the red stuff racing pads are they much better?

What make of brake pads do you think are the best.

My mates all seem to go with whatever the garage give them but I think there is a massive difference.

Long life is not a plus point when it comes to brake pads. I want them to stop the car.

Are EBC Greenstuff any good and what about the red stuff racing pads are they much better?

EBC are great and yes the red stuff is better. But it is only better on a track as they work best hot. So on normal road use the green stuff pads are the ones to go for because you would not be able to keep the heat in the red stuff ones for them to work at there best.

mixed reviews seem to be on the EBC pads, redstuff more or less a nono for normal road driving as like tn said they require to be hot. However they do a yellowstuff now for mixed.

i used to use relitivily cheap things fro my civic and they were good but didnt last very long, and on the bora sticking with the standard ones until they need changed

I've used greenstuff in the Primera. Once. Early bite, good. But they overheat far too quickly and delaminate.

I now use ATE which is the OEM manufacturer for the Peugeot pads. As they're not in a Peugeot box they are good value at about thirty five quid for a front set. Rears strangely cost more, despite being tiny little things.

im currently using red stuff pads all round and not had 1 problem at all not sure whether it has anything to do with the fact i have ebc discs too
dont know perhaps they work better with ebc discs ???

Tried EBC Yellows on the W8 - absolute crap. They just overheated very easily and smelt of burning. Ditched them for the standard fit Textars.

I've been told that the red stuff is more suitable for my car than the green (not that I've put either in the pug). It's a heavy car at over 1500kg and it's very capable of accelerating between MKs closely spaced roundabouts to three figure velocities with ease. I might just give them a go if I'm feeling adventurous.

In fairness to EBC the last time I used the greens was 2003 and the formulation has changed a bit since then.

I've been told that the red stuff is more suitable for my car than the green (not that I've put either in the pug). It's a heavy car at over 1500kg and it's very capable of accelerating between MKs closely spaced roundabouts to three figure velocities with ease. I might just give them a go if I'm feeling adventurous.

In fairness to EBC the last time I used the greens was 2003 and the formulation has changed a bit since then.

tbh mate the leon isnt really a light car perhaps this is why they work well for me ??? or it could be my driving style ??:lol:

for #!#!#!#! sake, it dosent matter weather the car is light or not
do they work or not???and on normal brake discs as im not getting drilled and grooved as they eat brake pads and there is a posability the discs can warp due to having lots of grooves and holes

You can have that, Prev.

To Herb: Seat's aren't light either not now anyway, although I doubt it's as much of a fat arse as my car. I do drive it quickly, and it's very capable of going quickly. I might try red stuff at some point but I really find the stock ATE pads very good. Unfortunately, they are VERY VERY dirty. You'd think I had special wheels made from carbon fibre if you saw the dust coating upon them. They're as black as the tyres! :-(

hdi, you can get brake dust repelliant
ive never tried it but obviously it works, as they cant bring something on to the market if it didnt

the reason i tell you is because brake dust is bad for alloys if left on it for ages
especially if the pads have asbestos in them, which a lot of normal pads do

Asbestos was banned from road pads in 1998.

The dirt is from organic (carbon) compounds. The alternative is to use ceramic or metallic pads (most performance pads use a combination of all three) but you'll s..t your pants first time you try a cold stop with ceramic pads on a cold morning. They are no good from cold.

dint know that about 1998
halfords the dirty bas tards sell pads with asbestos,
i saw it on the box myself

by the way halfords brake pads are s h i t

so hdi, are you suggesting if i buy them brakes, that i invest in a packet of pampers over 21s??
ha ha, thanks for the tip

I'm sure asbestos has been banned for some years in the UK. Perhaps the regulations are different in Ireland. Halfords pads are #!#!#!#!, agreed. Probably worse still here in England since they are not allowed to use asbestos in the friction compound!

As for the pampers - I'll be needing the over 38's ones if I was to drive with Halfords pads fitted.

Mate, these kinds of discussions are well worth it, for a giggle if nothing else.

Cheers,

Kind rgds,

P.

I'm sure asbestos has been banned for some years in the UK. Perhaps the regulations are different in Ireland. Halfords pads are #!#!#!#!, agreed. Probably worse still here in England since they are not allowed to use asbestos in the friction compound!

As for the pampers - I'll be needing the over 38's ones if I was to drive with Halfords pads fitted.

Mate, these kinds of discussions are well worth it, for a giggle if nothing else.

Cheers,

Kind rgds,

P.

there is an advert rerunning constantly everyday about asbestos awareness on my local radio station and it actually mentions houses built before the year 2004 so at a guess asbestos was still being used until 2004

I only said that it was forbidden in car friction materials. It has been used subsequently in building and builidng services. Blue asbestos is forbidden, car, house , officeblock, whatever.

i think they still put up the warnings on pads and clutches. every set of pads ive ever fitted have had the warnings on them

Herb your cars slightly lighter think we weigh in around 1350-1400kgs so its not exactly light.

the EBC greenstuff isnt widely available for the larger cars and heavier cars.

prevec, weight does matter as a heaver car will heat the brakes quicker than a lighter car as theres more mass to stop. and dont worry were all aloud to be in a bad mood now and again

like prince i think im going to give brembo pads ago when the standards wear out as they cost about the same going by the prices on the board at local VW

Cheers,

Kind rgds,

P.
ha ha too right mate

i think they still put up the warnings on pads and clutches. every set of pads ive ever fitted have had the warnings on them

Herb your cars slightly lighter think we weigh in around 1350-1400kgs so its not exactly light.

the EBC greenstuff isnt widely available for the larger cars and heavier cars.

prevec, weight does matter as a heaver car will heat the brakes quicker than a lighter car as theres more mass to stop. and dont worry were all aloud to be in a bad mood now and again

like prince i think im going to give brembo pads ago when the standards wear out as they cost about the same going by the prices on the board at local VW
mate, i honestley wasnt in a bad mood, i just wanted an anwser on the pads, but the response was the car light, the car this, the car that
ha ha,im happy today and just saw that i might have said that in a moody way

It depends a lot on the car they go on. Big powerful cars need big brakes. A sports brake with a high temperature works well wheras on a small car you need a low temp pad as there is not enough weight/momentum to warm them up for braking.

Pagid and Blackstuff are pretty good options and available for most cars. I had some greenstuff on my Rover and they were OK but the brakes were not brilliant anyway so I couldn't really rate the greenstuffs.

They did have low brake dust formulation though which meant less cleaning!

Ferodo's are good pads as well

For the GTT the Skyline owners swear by yellowstuff and ferodo's

I've heard good about Ferodos. You can't get them for all cars though. They cater for the more powerful cars. (I'm prepared to stand corrected though if this is not the case!)

I've heard that some of the mintex range is good but not all though. I have to say i've never tried them. I had ferodo's on an impreza once and they was amazing. Everytime I stamped on the brakes my eyes splattered against the windscreen :bigsmile::bigsmile:

I've just looked at prices for Ferodo pads. Front set of DS pads (FDS-1063) is £105. That's too much

Ferodo are about the best brake pads available,

TS2000 probably more suited to most people.
DS2500 for more serious performance applications.

You get what you pay for.
Try shopping around. i think Demontweeks used to have a comprehensive stock of Ferodo.

I'm a little lost here, I've heard a lot of talk about how great ferodo is, but then some people in this thread say there not as good as green/red/yellow stuff. I'd also previously heard that black diamond were the top brand, that they'd preformed so well in the max power awards they were awarded 1st and second, then 1st again the next year, but no one even seems to mention them.

Also, I all ways thought ceramic was the best material to make brakes out of because ceramic is heat resistant...?

I'm a little lost here, I've heard a lot of talk about how great ferodo is, but then some people in this thread say there not as good as green/red/yellow stuff. I'd also previously heard that black diamond were the top brand, that they'd preformed so well in the max power awards they were awarded 1st and second, then 1st again the next year, but no one even seems to mention them.

Also, I all ways thought ceramic was the best material to make brakes out of because ceramic is heat resistant...?

Some disks are made of ceramic not the pads themselves.
Black diamond are a good make but I'd rather have EBC.

Ceramic brake components,

Both discs and brake pads, are very costly and used mainly in exotics only. Even then Porsche had a lot of customer complaints with theirs, and if they can't get it right you can draw your own conclusions.

If you spend a little time searching on Motorsport sites and see who the main sponsors and suppliers of particular components are you will find out which make of any Car Parts are usually relied on.

A Forum is not where you find the answer to everything. You will get opinions only. If, for example a poster states something and backs it up with comprehensive facts that are leaving you in no doubt, then fine. But if it comes just as an "I think this is best." statement then it really means the square root of diddly squat.

Most opinions may come from a particular person's own experience, but may not give the whole picture as no-one here for example has done any back-to-back properly conducted testing, with brake pads for example.
So no-one is in a position to say what is necessarily the best.

What works for them is what you get in the post only; for that particular car and that particular usage. It's impossible to make sweeping statements that one particular anything is going to be the best all round "jack-of-all-trades" answer.
Life just ain't like that!

Use Google and do a bit of searching (e.g. google "ferodo brake pads review" or try another brand and self-learn rather than rely on instant answers that may only serve to confuse. :)

Last edited:
If you spend a little time searching on Motorsport sites and see who the main sponsors and suppliers of particular components are you will find out which make of any Car Parts are usually relied on.

I do Voluntary marshalling on most of the UK's Circuit and alot of them a plastered with EBC posters.

I've tried EBC and they just smoked themselves into fade. Not impressed at all. Perhaps red stuff would suit my car better than the green stuff given the weight and torque but it's once biutten etc etc.

I once tried Eicher - AVOID AT ALL COSTS - these were removed after one week and returned. Full refund offered without hesitation so the supplier is to be commended.

My current preference is ATE OEM pads all round with ATE discs. THese seem to work extremely well. Surprisingly so that I've not bothered researching anything else.

The prices are extremely reasonable. Mine come from Euro Car Parts in MK.

Peugeot pads and discs are ATE made but cost a lot more from a dealer when packaged in a Puegoet box.

Last edited: