what are the old s40's like?

i've heard with a remap, sports exhaust and inducion kit they can be quite quick? t4 is out due to insurance and cost of purchase and i don't like the look of the new shape

i've heard with a remap, sports exhaust and inducion kit they can be quite quick? t4 is out due to insurance and cost of purchase and i don't like the look of the new shape

there isnt alot of difference in insurance mate, and by new shape i mean after 2000 phase 2 models, better interior bumpers and lights etc

phase 1

t4_rep.jpg

phase 2

S40-classic-600.jpg

Just better spec inside and out and better suspension, the 2.0 turbo has a low pressure turbo, I've had one and you wouldn't even know it had one tbh

what can be done to them? been googling most of this morning and can only find suspension parts? i know about remaps
I just don't see the point of modifying something and ending up with t4 power when you could just buy a t4 which are pretty rapid standard, mptjtpt get a proper volvo like mine not an old banger 850 lol

what's the point in that comment? oh lets join a tuning site and just tell people to buy a faster car! what's the bloody point? and i was asking about what can be done to a t4

Lol they can't really be mapped, so manual boost controller bigger injectors and larger turbo, rear and front strut braces, EVO brakes

Your looking at the traditional engine mods here.

Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well. You'll also need stronger internal parts if you are looking at a big power hike so forged rods etc.. are the order of the day.

Bigger valves are an obvious add on but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range.

Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy (lumpy tickover at low RPM).

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods - if the car can't be mapped or chipped then you are looking at getting a piggyback ecu.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

A 4 into 2 into 1 lol exhaust? You obviously ain't listening its not a n/a car, where the tuning is totally different, ill say this once more you cannot map a t4 you have to go piggyback or standalone ecu, talk to Mitchyboy01 on any volvo forum and he'll tell you all about them. Show me who maps the 2.0 t

then i'll get a stand alone fuel management system, what is the difference between n/a tuning and turbo tuning? and CCCTECH.CO.UK do a remap for 2.0T, and ukchiptuning.co.uk do a remap for the T4

Last edited:
I dont want to sound harsh but you posted on another thread that people were not helpful. i think what you mean is you dont like the replies.

I know a bit about volvos but not enough to advise you if T5F or claymore have offered help . Honestly if he says it doesnt map then beleive me it doesnt. not successfully anyway

"whats the difference between na and turbo tuning " ????
if you dont know then maybe you should listen to those that do.

The two are far apart , you cant apply na rules to a turbo car ( not successfully anyway)

i do like the comments and replies as they're all helpful, i know basics on tuning, i did my research into mapping so i know it can be done, i know tuning is delicate and has to be done correctly. cheers for the advise

this bloke just doesnt want to listen to those who have been tuning volvos for years, the bloke who runs chiptuning is called adam btw and make sure its not for the newer s40's which can easily be mapped,

I will say this one more time, if you want to tune a volvo, buy a T5, they can be mapped (there is even an off the shelf map available for £150), they are much more tunable.

i do like the comments and replies as they're all helpful, i know basics on tuning, i did my research into mapping so i know it can be done, i know tuning is delicate and has to be done correctly. cheers for the advise

what you will have to do is take the ecu out, and send it off to be taken apart and an off the shelf chip be put in, i dont think i know anyone who has a mapped t4, btw i dont think its easy to get at the ecu on those cars

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back