What are the best value tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What would you say are the best value tyres around? I'm thinking in terms of performance and wear rate.

I've had some expensive tyres that just wore out in a matter of months, and some cheaper tyres that just lasted ages.

Hankook seem to be pretty good value, as do the Dunlop Sp Maxx sport range of tyres.

Do you rate the premium brands particularly and do you really get what you pay for?

Do you get what you pay for ?

I t is possible that some makers may charge for the name but one things for sure you wont get any top performance tyres cheap.

People look for different things from tyres.
Personally as they are the only thing touching the road I just get what I think is best so toyo 888s for the stagea simply because they give the best grip in the dry IMHO (dont/cant drive it quick in heavy rain anyway)

And for an all round tyre I would say goodyear F1s the symetrical pattern ones - simply awesome in the wet

Last edited:
I used to run Avon zz3 on my car. For the price they are really good tyres and last a long time too.
I don't run them now though as they are not the best for big power. Very good for most though I would say

And for an all round tyre I would say goodyear F1s the symetrical pattern ones - simply awesome in the wet

I had a set of these once, sorry to say that I was lured to them by the tread pattern and not the performance initially! I think I read somewhere that there is an improved version of these tyres out now; think I may try them out after Xmas as I should need new tyres after Donnington in November.

The trend is to assemetric tyres ( apparently) but I dont see how this moves water better so I will stick with the F1s

Currently on Michelin Primacy HP after years of Conti, Bridgestone, Dunlop etc. They suit the 5 series very well but outright in the wet if you must corner on the door handles there's better stuff out there. They last though

Different tyres do suit different cars as well I think. The only tyres I've really objected to are pirelli p6000s, cos I never found them much better than half the price nangkangyangs.

Different tyres do suit different cars as well I think. The only tyres I've really objected to are pirelli p6000s, cos I never found them much better than half the price nangkangyangs.

Good point and I agree. Some drivers are fussier than others, or perhaps just have different priorities.

I've never been fond of the P6000 - it's over a decade out of date now and the one time I used them they were next to impossible to balance properly.

Apparently the P7 Cinturato is meant to be superb for big saloons like mine but I can get the Michelin HPs (which suit this car and my driving style very well) for less money per corner so I'm not about to go conducting what could prove to be a very expensive experiment.

for really cheap budget tyres nangkangs cant be beat good in wet n dry depending on the power of your car I had them on my zr 160 and they were great but now I have coverted my car to a 2 litre turbo ive opted for toyo proxy t1r ... They seem all right at the moment but havent driven hard yet as im still running engine in ....

for really cheap budget tyres nangkangs cant be beat good in wet n dry depending on the power of your car I had them on my zr 160 and they were great but now I have coverted my car to a 2 litre turbo ive opted for toyo proxy t1r ... They seem all right at the moment but havent driven hard yet as im still running engine in ....

Never tried Nankangs - no idea what to expect. Tried Federal once and Nexen....Once. lethal things in my opinion.

Not economical either cos they all came off the car after a couple of days and got chucked in the bin.

Never tried Nankangs - no idea what to expect. Tried Federal once and Nexen....Once. lethal things in my opinion.

Not economical either cos they all came off the car after a couple of days and got chucked in the bin.

heard way too many horror stories involving nankangs. the hard wearing statment also gets me as the rubber is harder it doesnt grip as well

Last edited:
absolutely.
The the grip and the wear rate are related with normal price tyres and are down to the compound . The tread pattern only makes a difference in the wet (assuming you dont count off road tyres etc)

avoid Kuhmo. thats 2 cars i have had them on (1st time they came with the alloys, 2nd time they were on the car when i bought it) and they are good in the dry but horrendous in any other conditions. i hate them!

I found in one brand you'll get deadly dangerous tyres and some fairly good ones too so to dish a brand cause of one of it's tyres is inaccurate. Ex; federal make a fairly good tyre [ don't remember wich one ] but they also have one that will try an kill you in the wet, so when you refer to a brand it's important to mention it's description, Ex; Achilles the brand and ATR Sport the tyre in that range. [just saying ].