What are some mods for a '93 volvo 940

cyrus

Car
'93 Volvo 940
I have a 940 non-turbo, and would like to know what kind of modifications there are for this car. I'm going on a trip soon and need to make some changes. Thanks.

Hi Cyrus and welcome. We've got quite a growing number of Volvo owners joining up here. It looks like people are realising the potential of these cars.

Which engine do you have in yours? That is probably your most limiting factor.

How do you feel about doing an engine swap to the T5?

It's a 4cyl. 2.3L non-turbo. I haven't been able to find anything. I couldn't even find a cold air intake. I'm just trying to find something that will get me some more power without compromising the gas mileage too badly. If you know of anything let me know. Thanks.

honestly mate swapping to the T5 might not effect the millage that much with the advances in economy over the 15 years. T5 averages 32mpg in the S40 (1st car i found with it)
is it RWD ? this might be a problem as i think the t5s are FWD, as this engine is used ford focus you should be able to get a RWD ford box no problem

if your sticking with the current engine you might need to get custom things made for it

I'd look at getting the head ported and gas flowed with a custom cam grind. Use a panel air filter instead of an induction kit as these are typically easier to come by.

What is the mileage like? (it might be due a rebuild/de coke anyway.)

Try a VX cam. That's a Volvo OEM cam grind that was sold in Europe in the 90's (when the 940's were built). Folks in the states are trying to find those all the time. It works well in the B230, and adds much to performance.