What are hybrid turbos

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
From what I can make out a hybrid turbo is where the insides have been swapped out for something different?

Is that right? Why not just buy a different turbo, surely it would be cheaper than modifying your existing turbo?

Aftermarket turbos are often larger, or the pipes are in different places or you need to modify the exhaust manifold.

A hybrid allows you to choose a performance impeller blade and fit this into a standard casing, where it is much easier to fit.

You can also optimise the exhaust and intake blades to get the flow characteristics you require.

It is also common to upgrade to ceramic or ball bearing turbos, which are much better than the OEM turbo setups where thrust bearings are typically used.

Over here we call it HI FLOWING by this we mean that the factory compressor housing that been machined to fit a different OR larger wheel a mod that can't be picked up by Mr Plod or a roadworthy engineer as from all appearances it is still the factory turbo albeit with modified internals.

If you intend having this done then it is advisable that you also have the built in wastegate ported and enlarged at the same time as there will be more exhaust flow and if the gate is too small and can't flow enough exhaust gas to be able keep a stable maximum boost level it can lead to increased boost pressure / spike that it has not been remapped for and engine damage may occur.

True story was @ a track day many years ago and this WRX kept catching me under brakes and when he tried to overtake my car it walked away exiting the corner so in the pits he came over and asked to have a look at my motor and it looked stock BUT I failed to mention the cam,ported head and Hiflowed factory turbo.