Were winter tyres a waste of money this year

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that winter tyres were a waste of money this year with our very mild winter so far?

(Things might change but it is looking like it will stay pretty mild and pleasant right into spring now.)

Nope. It stopped my BBS Style 5s getting coated with salt and grit and also meant I didn't have to wash them every day!

The point that most people don't realise with winter tyres is that they perform better in the cold weather than summer tyres, snow or not you should still use them imo.

They are indeed better in cold weather than summer tyres. However, with the vast array of different tyres on the market I cannot believe they all deteriorate at exactly seven degrees above freezing. That's a convenient figure set by the tyre industry.

I general here in Britain we'd probably benefit from all season tyres all the year round. I'm considering Vredesteins Quatrac next tyre change, but in fairness the Michelin Primacy HPs fitted at the moment have proven to be very good apart from on loose snow.

Id love to be able afford a second set of wheels with winter tyres on. Yet I have pirelli P6000 on at the moment and they faired well even in the snow.

The problem with the P6000 now is that they are an old design, hell they were factory fit to the 306 GTI6 and that hasn't been in production for over 10 years!!!

Thinner tyres are best in winter conditions, as for what brand Verdestien are supposed to be very good at this.
Also to note I would sooner have 2 sets of tyres than has all season ones at the end of the day it will cost you about the same because both sets aren't used a much through out the year, if you know what I'm getting at.