Torque Cars

weight shaving

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by MrB, 28 October 2008.

1. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    im in the process of trying to get as much weight out of the car as i can, if i list a few bits ive done let me know if there is anything else i can do please . whilst the weld in cage is being sorted and the windows etc are ut the car i want to get as much out as i can

remember this is also a road car

complete aircon removed
    powersteering pump removed replaced with smaller electric pump
    water pump removed replaced with electric pump
    brake servo removed replaced with ap racing race pedal box
    HIcas removed inc ECU and wiring removed
    Rear seats removed
    front seats swapped for bucket seats
    roof lining removed
    interior lighting and wiring removed
    door cards removed
    rear panels and side top panels removed
    carpts removed
    sound deadening removed
    spare wheel and jack removed
    stereo removed inc wiring
    speakers removed inc wireing
    dash dials removed replaced with mtx dash and small indicator markers etc wiring removed and replaced with new smaller loom

Perspex side and rear windows on order

is there anything else to do can i tank cut inner metal panels as the strengh will be in the cage or is that going too far

thanks

brett

Last edited: 28 October 2008
    Loz likes this.
  2. Loz

Loz Torque King

Wolverhampton, U.K.
    Car:
    MX-5
    Talon (the guys who built my toy although admittedly its not a drag car :) ) removed the side impact bars inside the doors as my roll cage has door bars, I've also seen cars with the spare wheel well cut out & replaced with an ally sheet. Have you considered Carbon/fiberglass panels too?

Loz

Last edited: 28 October 2008
  3. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    door bars is a good idea, hadnt thought of that. soare wheel well is coming out so the swirl pot etc has a good base to stand on.

panel wise were looking at carbon, carbon bonnet carbon boot carbon wings and carbon door skins

4. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    have you thought about aving the passenger seat secured with wingnuts to remove it quickly once you get to the strip. basically remove the bolt and replace with a lengh of studding, tack the studding in place so it doesnt come out easily and wing nits with spring washers on top.
    2 mins to remove the seat.

5. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    How heavy are your wheels and tyres? It surprising how much weight difference there can be with the wrong wheel selection. As this is essentially unsprung weight it is good to minimise it.

I hear a lot of people cutting out the inner arches etc but personally I think this is going a bit far. How heavy is the green paint?

Other ideas maybe a lighter Fuel tank? Steering wheel. Drill the pedals etc. Nip off the ends of all nuts. Save 1g from 100 places and it all adds up.

6. yul carlinsky

yul carlinsky Wrench Pro

south africa
    Car:
    bmw 325i
    u havent mentioned changing your fuel tank . there are aluminium and plastic tanks available

7. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    Another V good idea

8. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    fuel tanks an issue but cause its a road car as well and the standard tank only holds 60ltrs anyway that aint going to get me too far as it is plus the standard skyline tanks aint that heavy.

im thinking of changing the rear sub frame for an S15 item as its pretty much the same but the s15 doesnt have hicas so it doesnt have anoy of the mounting points which is a small saving

ive sorted the windows ive gone for polycarbonate so its approx 50% lighter than the standard glass. the wireing loom has been stripped out and a new one is being made without anything unecesary in it ie the hicas loom is an inch thick thats gone all the roof lighting wires have gone all the dash wiring has gone as the dash works off a com port on the ecu so it has very minimal wires for warning lights on indicators etc

9. Loz

Loz Torque King

Wolverhampton, U.K.
    Car:
    MX-5
    Would it be viable to remove the heater matrix & the associated plumbing & install an electric one sufficient to stop the car steaming up? This is addictive I can't stop trying to think of ways to lose more weight! :amuse::lol:

10. steve09

steve09 Track Warrior

Car:
    Honda NSR 125R
    Not saying that you need it, but the easyest way to save weight and cost as little as you want it to loose a bit of weight off your self lol.

(not saying that your a fatty lol, but if you could afford to loose a few pounds that could help out without costing anything really )

11. steve09

steve09 Track Warrior

Car:
    Honda NSR 125R
    I think OG would be the best to ask about this, he is making an EXTREME elan as light as he can get it with as much power as it can take.

lightweight bolts and nuts in lowstress areas?

lightweight intercooler?

umm,,, cant really think of that much as you probably have already thought of them.

as waynne said, 1g in 100 places will all add up.

12. Loz

Loz Torque King

Wolverhampton, U.K.
    Car:
    MX-5
    Replace the screen wash bottle with a smaller one?

13. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    screen wash bottle has been removed and relocated to the back, it is smaller but will help keep a little weight still over the back wheels.

as for me losing weight ive just installed a 3k gym at my house so working on a bit of toning on myself need to lose a little bit of a beer belly

LOZ
    i like what you say here ive already removed all the air con parts of the system under the dash and removing the rest of the heating system for a lighter electric version does sound cool could be plumbed behind the dash to stll flow through the normal vents without the weight of the whole system. + less water lines coming into the car a little bit more of a weight saving. anyone now of a system and were i could get it plus possible cost i like this idea

ive found there are loads of little panels and brackets spot welded n the car in the boot, under the dash and on the interior etc there dont seem no need for them and some it seems hard to know what there purpose was anyway so spot weld drill coming out to get rid of all of those

14. Loz

Loz Torque King

Wolverhampton, U.K.
    Car:
    MX-5
  15. yul carlinsky

yul carlinsky Wrench Pro

south africa
    Car:
    bmw 325i
    Do you have any lightweight engine parts installed like lightweight flywheel and carbon propshafts and cams these can cut some weight .

16. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
  17. Loz

Loz Torque King

Wolverhampton, U.K.
    Car:
    MX-5
    I'm back! :bigsmile:
    Remove the height adjustment motor units from the headlights, I've done this on another car because I didn't want to fork out for a whole new headlight assembly (Smart city coupe, £200ish). The tricky bit is setting the light to the correct height, but it is do-able.

18. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    the tripple plate clutch is quite weighty but ive had the flywheel lightened when its was rotation balanced along with the crank etc.

propshaft wise i tried to get a carbon one but the company that make them ( torqueline) wont do it due to the lengh of the prop they said a carbon version will only take 600bhp which aint half as good as it needs to be. i told the guy i wasnt bothered id just buy another if it broke and he said no he doesnt want eople thinking his product is inferor, which is fair enough. ive sent specs to a couple of companies and im waiting to see if i can get one knocked up in allie.

its fantastic to get this feedback and ideas guys i posted this on the skyline site as well and got nothing back at all but then half of them think im crazy for doing this work to a gtst lol

19. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    looked at this today and ive come up with another option on this one taking your idea a little step further, the car has dual square lights in each headlamp, what im thinking of doing is removing the driving lamp and replacing it with a hella 50mm projector light, there is the option to swap the main beam for 90mm projectors as well, but before going that far i will see how hard the mounting plates are to make for the other pair. ive found a guy in aus whos done the conversion already so im waiting for areturn email with some instructions hes promised me. i have priced the lamos and to convert all 4 swaures to lightweight round lamps £450.00 which aint too sad. i'll post a pic up of the skyline ive found with this conversion so u can see and tell me what u think

sorry for the slow replies guys im sending this link to work so i can get intothe site there so expect better replies as of tomorow

20. Loz

Loz Torque King

Wolverhampton, U.K.
    Car:
    MX-5
    Re: Headlights,
    That sounds like a really neat solution & it will create a unique look for your car in the process. :bigsmile:

21. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these pics will give a good idea on the lights this has had just the 50mm and 90mm conversion which i think looks pretty cool. use plastic or carbon to mount them should make a little saving

Last edited by a moderator: 1 November 2008
  22. Loz

Loz Torque King

Wolverhampton, U.K.
    Car:
    MX-5
    I like it, gives it a mad staring look :bigsmile:

23. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    lol
    does look cool

24. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Right.... A few questions first:

What use will this monster be put to? Drag, sprints, TOTB, Limited or frequent road use?
    Daytime use only or night use as well?
    Proposed power?
    Planned vehicle weight?
    One driver or many?

25. MrB

MrB Road Burner

ESSEX UK
    Drag definete, possible totb. limited road use mostly at night

proposed power 850ath

planned vehicle weight as light as i can get it

just the one driver