Water pump fault?

trumpet30

Wrench Pro
Car
VW Polo 1.4TDI
My friend has an 02 punto 1.2. The pipes to and from the radiator were cold even when the engine was hot and the fan would come on (obviously because the engine was getting hot).

I have changed the thermostat for them but it I am not sure if there is another problem. The temperture gauge goes above norm and only when you rev the car does the temperature suddenly drop. when this happens there is no heating in the car until it is revved. When revved the water is definately going through the rad now but only when you rev the car.

The car also runs rough until it warms up (I think the head gasket may have gone).

Is this a water pump issue or do you think it is something else as it seems that u only get heating and can cool the engine when revving it.

when you're reving are the pipes to and from the radiator getting warm or are they still cold?

Top pipe is getting radiant heat from the engine and the bottom one stats cold. When you rev the engine both get really hot as does the radiator.

Sounds like a water pump busy going out, check your engine oil for a milky look, this is a good infication when your head gascet is blown.

Radiator might be blocked too, if water is very dirty this could be, if not, considering cabin heater not working, assuming new thermostat works and at manufacturers setting I really think water pump is on it's way out, no water leaking from the water pump? Does the car use a lot of water? Is the oil blackish or milkyish.