WARINING FOR ALL 1.2 AND 1.4 16v engines

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Got nice phone call today from my mum needing a lift as dad had broken down and didnt have the breakdown details on him. got there and listen to the engine nice couple of loud bangs !

AA man came out asked the details didnt even get his tools out turned round and said it would be the exhaust camshaft sheared at the fourth cylinder had seen it 20 times at least in the last year between the 1.2 and 1.4

towed it to our normal mechanic and pulled the rocker cover off. cam had actually sheared at cylinder 3.

all the bolts for the cam bearing were loose apart from the ones beside the chain ( now that shocked me it was a timing chain ) and the one at the 4th cylinder as it had sheared completely.

so it now looks like a new cam and 4 valves
not been a good week:mad:

ohh car is a 05 plate with under 30k on the clock.

Last edited:
the little vauxhall engine are bad at the min well most of them are they are always knocking out cam and crank shaft sensors and o2 sensors

i have only seen one brake the cam shaft but the metal is poor its all to do with them making them cheap

yeah i had a look at the cam when i was in the garage couldn't believe how cheap the cam looked. espcially when they theyve fitted a chain rather than belt. however reading up the chain isnt much better as it runs dry. vaux even blamed one cam breaking because there was no oil in the engine. car was transferred to local mechanic who then proceeded to drain the 3.5ltrs out of the said bone dry engine

one had the intake cam go Vauxhall replaced it and within a week the exhaust one went went.

seems to be cars made 05-07 mainly the common 1.2 corsa

yeah best thing was found loads of gripes about them more so on the corsas. mechnic phoned vauxhall UK to order up the parts and was told this was the 1st occasion that they had heard about. shame there a handful of small claims in against them already had have paid out on a few.

somebodys telling porkies me thinks

been told it will be around £600 plus parts if the heads needing to come off. he hoping that its not that bad but cant be sure until the new cams' on and a compression test is done

but i think the idea will be to get shot of it shortly after they get it back

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back