wanzak

wanzak

Car
91 323, 1.6, sohc
I purchased a 91 Mazda 323 1600 sohc Auto, had to weld plates on rear shock towers for a safety , engine idles rough, replaced plugs and wires but found cap hold down screw was snapped, fixed with a c clamp but Still misses , will change cap and rotor soon, hope that's the prob, when I fix this problem I would like to get more power which it desperately needs, what should my first upgrade be?, or just get used to being tailgated a lot and getting unapproving facial expressions from considerate fellow motorists, car has 122000km ,

I had one of these a while back. They are no rally car but equally they aer not pedestrian. But if it is running rough and an auto it will not go well at all . You certainly need to fix that before you start to even think about tuning
Missfire usually means coilpacks or plugs .the coilpacks. are a known issue on 323s and very likely the problem . Only long term solution is a new set .
You can check which cylinder it is by removing each plug cap in turn but even if you find it is one thats faulty it is worth changing the four and do the plugs at the same time.
I would also do a basic service as these engines are very relable , 122000km is nothing for these and certainly not a reason for it running like a dog. As said before if it is missefifing it is far more likely to be the coilpacks or Spark plugs and while you are at it fit new fuel and air filters as well and change the oil. Then if it is stil not right maybe look elswhere .

Thanks , I will change coils ,didn't know it was common problem, it also needs exhaust , would a larger system help with power, maybe a header?, is 1600 parts interchangeable with other engines,

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back