WANTED! Cheap 1.0 First Car

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
All,

I am after a small 1.0 run around that I can practice in and then use for around a year when I pass.

Would prefer with long MOT and Tax but mainly MOT, due to me not haveing that big of a piggy bank! :embarrest:

Preferablely in the Hampshire area but may be willing to travel.

Want to spend up to £500 as it will only be cheap and rubbish :p

Thanks all,

Corey.

A 106 would do you nicely. Have you checked autotrader? There are some bargains about but they get snapped up quickly.

maybe a Ford Ka - should be lots around in that price range, just watch out for rust near the petrol filler cap. Advantage is they are cheap and relatively easy to fix.

Looked at a Ka aswell, they just seemed to be above my price range. Well went with mum to some dealerships asking about part exchanges and almost got my hands on a 1.4 Astra mk3. Wanted to know what you all thought of them? One is a Merit and the other is a GSi, both are 5 door.

GSi for under GBP500 - would have a good look over this as it will likely be ragged, doubtful it had one little old lady owner. Also, wont you get smacked heavily for insurance on this?

OK dp, thanks, will make sure I have a proper look, as I am going back today. Insurance is not alot more than the merit (£150 I think). I think it mainly depends on how they drive.

Will have to have more of a thought though as they rang up yesturday and offered me a '97 Hyundai Accent Si for £500, its even smaller on the engine than the 2 Astra's (1.3)

choness2004 they didnt make a 5 door gsi only a 3 door mate so be sure to check the logbook;)
but if it is a gsi replica this will be a good base of a car to start from!!!
get some pics of the gsi and post them mate:bigsmile:

Ok, will have to double check this, I went last night but they wouldn't let us take any of them out for a test drive due to it being dark so I will have to go out again during the next week.

media

media

This is the GSi model Herb, Personally it looks alot better in the photos then going to see it! And looking on the photos, is says GLS... might have to call them back up and ask whats going on...

And pgarner, I thought so to until I looked on insurance and they came out very similar on prices with the Merit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the GSI had front spots in the bumper, I doubt that is a GSi. Look at the V5 reg document and see what is on that.

MID

K985CTM is on the Motor Insurance Database today

The details on the MID are:

Vehicle Make/Model: VAUXHALL ASTRA GLS 1.4I

If these details are not correct, check the registration entered or contact your insurance provider.
Checking your vehicle is on the MID

DVLA

VEHICLE ENQUIRY Services Provided By DVLA:

The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for K985 CTM are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2009
Date of First Registration 14 05 1993
Year of Manufacture 1993
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1389CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Due to Expire
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval null
This vehicle can be licensed at a DVLA Local Office without the V5C Registration Certificate
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £68.75
12 Months Rate £125.00

so unless it has a Gsi engine in there and nobodys told the DLVA its looking alot like a GLS

These are good cars very bullet proof and reliable only had to change sparks plugs and leads i used to give mine some abuse ocassionally i had one when i was 18 but they are group 6 insuarnce i was paying 1549 insurance about 5 years ago.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back