Want to add a little love to my 2006 C230...

DJShanghai

Car
2006 C230 Sport
Great vids Wayne (unfortunate name though..Chinese typically add the KE in their annunciation of the name..do the math).
Very impressed with the content here.
Problem statement:
Own 2006 C230 with a low serial number. 36700 miles, runs great. Rebuild in my future for sure. Want to do this now and not later.
Desire: Want to bore and stroke my 2.5L to ~3.2L with new forged pistons, rods etc.

Q1: Is there an optimum build/rebuild kit to set this engine up for higher displacement and optimal compression for twin spool intercooled turbo?
(I know this looks like an easy question, but the answer is complex, not looking for max performance, but a good kick in the back of the pants)
Q2: What are the best rebuild kits (name brands) available to perform this rebuild?
Q3: What are the best twin spool turbo kits available for the W203 M272 platform?
Q4: Same Q for exhaust manifolds/headers?
Q5: Same Q for ECUs.
Q6: Am I crazy? Should I embark on this journey or should I roll this thing off a short pier and be done with it?

Thanks for your indulgence, DJ Shanghai

Great vids Wayne (unfortunate name though..Chinese typically add the KE in their annunciation of the name..do the math).
Very impressed with the content here.
Problem statement:
Own 2006 C230 with a low serial number. 36700 miles, runs great. Rebuild in my future for sure. Want to do this now and not later.
Desire: Want to bore and stroke my 2.5L to ~3.2L with new forged pistons, rods etc.

Q1: Is there an optimum build/rebuild kit to set this engine up for higher displacement and optimal compression for twin spool intercooled turbo?
(I know this looks like an easy question, but the answer is complex, not looking for max performance, but a good kick in the back of the pants)
Q2: What are the best rebuild kits (name brands) available to perform this rebuild?
Q3: What are the best twin spool turbo kits available for the W203 M272 platform?
Q4: Same Q for exhaust manifolds/headers?
Q5: Same Q for ECUs.
Q6: Am I crazy? Should I embark on this journey or should I roll this thing off a short pier and be done with it?

Thanks for your indulgence, DJ Shanghai
Hi buddy, thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure what availability is like in your area for parts, you might end up importing some things from germany.

There is not much around for this engine off the shelf and my knowledge of them is limited as I've not had a chance to play with one yet. Here are some of the brands and names that crop up but I don't know if they have anything to suit your aspirations.

Brands like Wiseco, JE Pistons, and CP Carrillo offer high-quality forged internals and also Mahle spring to mind.

From discussions I've had with people over the years people tend to work out the parts they need and specify the parts from manufacturers.

When it comes to turbos
  • Garrett Turbochargers: Known for their dual-ball bearing turbos, offering quick spool times and reliability.
  • BorgWarner EFR Series: These turbochargers are popular for their performance and efficiency.
It would be worth checking to see if you can get Motec Haltech or AEM ecu options for your engine in your area, the aftermarket route is pretty important with the mods you have planned.

Hello and welcome|B I second Obi's advise and have never researched mods for your particular make / model but is there a crank or a complete engine from another bigger capacity of you engine family that will fit in place of the existing one?
Just a small correction of terminology :) spool is how fast the turbo boost pressure rises / increases.
Turbos are available in either single scroll or twin scroll with the latter needing , ideally to be bolted to an equal length split pulse exhaust manifold that keeps the exhaust pulses divided by the firing order as they enter the TS turbo that has 2 separate /divided scrolls so that they will merge smoothly when they meet at the turbine wheel / hot side of the turbo.
The 4 cylinder split pulse manifold will have 1&4 joined together and 2&3 together feeding into a TS turbo.

Hope this helps .