waiting for 2012 TT

Mk2soon

Car
Eric Swenson
should be here end of January. Ibis White/black, Mag ride, nappa leather, heated seats.
As I wait I have been reading articles about the 2.0TFSI engines. Mine will have 258lbs Torque, thought that was appropriate to say on this forum. :D

The issue that concerns me ....Carbon Buildup on the intake valves, and from what I can tell, not much can be done about it. Direct Injection leaves fuel on the valves, which is unburned and turns to ..curd. Anyone know of Audi updates on this, any ideas on how to deal with it?? Am I be paranoid?:amuse:

thanks, Eric

From what I have read the only way to really clean the intake valves is to take the engine apart. Gas additives will do nothing to touch the areas where the build occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

Problem is, if I drive it like the Mk1 I had i may be in trouble, as I took a LOT of short trips in the small town I live in.
Also, I have read that engine cleaner will not reach the built up with carbon areas because the Direct Injection does not hit those areas...

At this point, car is ordered so I will live with it. I would think that Audi would have some kind of notification of this problem, but maybe not, being we are such a litigious society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about it. Seriously it's not as big a problem as people make out. The large V8 engines (RS4 etc) have the problem and as long as you don't do loads of short journeys on a cold engine you'll be fine on a TFSi engine.

Run some BG44k though the engine every year or 6 months and this more than makes up for any carbon build up. If the engine is clean then the burn will also be clean. There are also some intake sprays you can get to dissolve the carbon in the intakes.

One pro intake spray is extremely effective and there are videos on youtube of it in operation with a camera fed into the intake before and after to show the difference.

Also use a premium super unleaded fuel as this will burn more cleanly than other non premium fuels. I only ever put Shell V Power in mine unless I have to switch to another brand due to being in a remote non shell area!

When the engine is hot and burning the exhaust gasses efficiently there is no scope for build up. The Large V8 engines take a while to warm up and tend to be driven at lower RPM.

I notice you replied by email so I've copied your message back to the forum, but it's posted before my post which you replied to! :eek:

The engine cleaner just keeps the engine running efficiently. This helps reduce the carbon issue. The intake sprays go through the air intake so they do touch and remove the carbon build up quite effectively.

I've been using the sport mode which raises rpm to just over 3000 At 50 mph or so. Helpful for the carbon burning off, as I've read. It's a 12 also

Wow, long time since I posted here.
that 2012 Audi TT was traded in two weeks ago on a 2017 Audi TTS.
Yes, carbon build up happens and as someone posted here...get the engine hot, very hot, as in long and "brisk" drives often. It will burn off.
That 2012 TT I traded in had 30K miles on it...it sold fast. Love the Mk3 TTS, love it!

Wow, long time since I posted here.
that 2012 Audi TT was traded in two weeks ago on a 2017 Audi TTS.
Yes, carbon build up happens and as someone posted here...get the engine hot, very hot, as in long and "brisk" drives often. It will burn off.
That 2012 TT I traded in had 30K miles on it...it sold fast. Love the Mk3 TTS, love it!

The good old turin tune up! Glad to see you're still a TT owner. How do the two models compare?

I use the sport mode to keep rpms up over 3000 on shorter drives.How helpful is BG44k run through the fuel?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back