W124 E220 coupe engine conversion

liiive

hi guys
i am new to this forum,i need some help and good advice regarding few things.

I have an E220 coupe and i am looking to get an engine conversion.
Id like to know whats required if i find a E320 engine...
and this might sound a bit crazy,but i have seen an E-class w124 sedan with a toyota supra engine and it pushes 600hp+...
i was thinking of a 3.0ltr v6 twin turbo'd mitsubishi gto engine. the engine comes from my friends car and he would give me everything.
1, is such thing possible on my car?
2, isit too expensive to even think about?
3, the Mitsubishi engine running on a manual 6 speed gto, would it work on a 5 gear automatic?

sorry if these questions are silly,i dont know much about engine conversions,but no harm in learning and researching.

would appreciate any help and advice.

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars - nice to have you along.

The short answer is anything is possible but often costs too much. I would generally advise you to stick with the same make and also the same model type of engine if this is your first upgrade.

All engine management and often the gearbox will need swapping. When you start doing conversions to other makes of engine you will need custom engine mounts and often sizes can be a pain. For example the French use wierd size bolts and nuts so this can add to the complexity of the job.

The E320 conversion sounds good. What about adding a supercharger to your existing engine?

hi wayne ,thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean i thought it wouldn't be straightward and i doubt i will do it...but one can dream a little!
people tell me to just buy an e320 but they dont understand that im in love with my particular e220, which has 1 problem,performance.

as far as i know and asked many tuning companies etc, there is no turbo,supercharger or any super chip for my 4 cylinder engine.
regarding the e320 engine,i have found 1 in good condition,but comes from a sedan...
do i need a new gearbox or can i use my 4gear gearbox? what else needs changing?manifold?diffs?brakes?

Your best bet is to buy a rear end written off E320 and use it for spares. The gearbox might fit if the engines are based on the same block.

Do you know the engine codes of yours and the donor engine?

It is always worth uprating the brakes but not vital - yours should be pretty good. The front suspension may need adjusting a little if there is a big weight difference.

Hi liiive,

Very intresting ideas,

i think we may be able to help, We do a supercharger kit for this model of Merc, Bolt on 9 psi kit that allows a 30-40% increase in power, This may be of intrested,

We also specilise in engine tuning, Conversions etc, We build custom conversions , to work with exsiting cars. Depending what power your looking for we may be able to help

We can change merc engines from model to model,

With the GTO lump, If you would like it to run through the Merc auto then i would be hesitate, If you want the power you should really run the manual, It can be adapted but the strength of the auto box on the Merc wouldn't cope with the power to well, and the Merc auto ECU will have to be adapted, which doesn't help!!

Hi liiive,

Very intresting ideas,

i think we may be able to help, We do a supercharger kit for this model of Merc, Bolt on 9 psi kit that allows a 30-40% increase in power, This may be of intrested,

We also specilise in engine tuning, Conversions etc, We build custom conversions , to work with exsiting cars. Depending what power your looking for we may be able to help

We can change merc engines from model to model,

With the GTO lump, If you would like it to run through the Merc auto then i would be hesitate, If you want the power you should really run the manual, It can be adapted but the strength of the auto box on the Merc wouldn't cope with the power to well, and the Merc auto ECU will have to be adapted, which doesn't help!!

This sounds interesting, do you have a web site I can have a look at?