vw polo mk4 induction kit/cone air filter

joshy1991

Torque Junkie
Car
nissan 200sx s14a
hi guys and gals

i am wondering how or if i can even do it. i want to know if i can put an upgrade air filter on my polo . does anyone know how i can do it . and does any one have the same car that they have already upgraded the air filter so i can see how u have done it.

thanks for any replies
joshy

hey mate in short yes you can. but its not really worth it on a small engine. youd be better off with a higher flowing panel filter

unless you want noise

this is true or you can spend some money on a full built in system its just not worth it slap some tyres and brakes on that car and you will notice the handeling treble rather than a tiny gain or more likley a loss from changing filters

cheers guys. my car doesnt have a panel filter. ( i think ) its like a hula hoop thing inside a plastic box. there is no panel filter cos i looked. also i want the car to have a deep low sound. i have changed the back box already . also my car has a plastic box which is where the air filter is. and then theres a tube coming off it for cold starts and another going to the wheel arch linked together with a y joint. could i take them of and put a cone filter instead . but just for show??? and if i did that would the airflow be the same as it was or would it be restricted a little bit or even better.?

sound like you have a carb in there rather than injection
if you fitted 2 filters youd have more restriction.

try taking the whole airbox off and see if you can fit a silicone tube directly onto the throttle body / carb cone filter can be fitted to that

cheers i know i cand do that but by doing that it will increase the performance which will also increase my insurance cost. i was wondering if i would be able to put the cone filter on for looks without increasing the performance of the car. or even put the confilter on without increasing the performance of my car. and do i have to have the car retuned if i put the cone filter on with no airbox. so the silicone tube way u mentioned. and will it increase my cars performance being that it is only a 1.4cl

youll not see much from a 1.4 from a filter at all, maybe high up youll see a small increase - couple of bhp if your lucky - however you will probably lose torque lower down making the car feel slower
really you should be informing the insurance even if you fit a high flowing filter in the standard airbox - surly there will be one made somewhere.
no the increase in airflow will be next to nothing and the ECU will be able to adapt.

ok cheers. i havnt put any sort of filter on my car yet anyway i just wanted to find out mor b4 i did it. also i have found a k + n standard filter replacement like the one u have shown me. but i do prefer the looks of the cone filters. they just look so much nicer. thanks for the replies

Here's my conversion - i cut the pipe that was on the old standard box - But you will need to also buy a oil air filter - that small one in the back is the oil air filter - the big K&N was £9.99 from ebay and the small oil air filter was £4.50
P111009_1321.jpg

Not really - you just get a nicee sound of the air being sucked in when you put your foot down or tap the accelerator.

um danny0602 i put a cone filter on my polo and it didnt run very well. its auto though. when u get your air filter make sure its a paper or foam. and make sure you ask them about oiling or anything and dont buy a cheap one off ebay. my bro bought one and after a week his car was wrecked where it didnt filter out dust properly,. and get some good advicre on it aswell.

to be honest mate i dont think it had to do with the filter. most airborne dust wil just burn in the cylinders. look at the older cars who rans on carbs with no filters.

if it is an oiled one watch theres not too much oil on the filter as the this can stick to the MAF cusing incorrect airflow readings. this doesnt just apply to K&N filters

o right cool . i will hav to remember that. it was a poly sum sort of filter. and ma bro didnt oil it at all and his corsa b went dead basically