VW polo 9N3, 2005 with 1.4L BKY belt driven engine to to 1.6L BTS chain driven engine

tafungwa

Car
VW polo 1.4 L 2005
hie

I do have VW polo 9N3 of 2005 with 1.4L BKY belt driven engine with a 4 speed 001 automatic gearbox with identification code GJG. I did a rebuild on the engine after the timing belt snapped about a year ago and the engine operated well after the rebuild but now the engine is smoking and i have to top a pint of oil once in every fortnight after about 400km. I suspect rings are worn because the smoking increases as i accelerate. So I am thinking of buying another engine but I am thinking of swapping to 1.6L BTS chain driven engine. These are my questions, can you assist
1. Does the BTS engine fits in the engine bay and work with mountings & computer box for the BKY engine?
2. Does the BTS engine fits on a 4 speed 001 automatic gearbox with identification code GJG?
3. BTS are usually associated with 6 speed 09G automatic gearbox so if I am to fit it, does it work with mountings & transmission computer box for the BKY
4. Is BTS engine a better engine

If the BTS is from the same year model revision then it will fit in quite easily, as all VW's were modular, if it's newer then you might need a mount adapting but thankfully engine swaps on VW's are fairly straightforward. The 1.8T is a popular drop in for the Polo.

The computer will need swapping out, or heavily remapping, the Bosch Motronic ECU's are best to work with IMO. Taking the donor ECU, and door locks/immobiliser will make life a lot easier for you.

Don't know about the gearbox at all on these, I've only ever played with manual boxes on my VAG group cars.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

So sorry for my very slow reply, I've been busy updating the site framework and chasing bugs. Hopefully we are there now, with a much faster more efficient site and server.

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine and look forward to Talking Cars with you.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Noted, your reply has encouraged me, so I am in right track. The issue now is on the reliability of Chain synchronized engine compared to Belt synchronized engine. Which one has pros better than cons for these two engine systems especially for VWs.

As long as the belts are changed every 5 years or 50,000 miles they should be fine, the manufacturer recommendations are a little too long IMO.

Chains can snap and suffer from metal fatigue, so it's not a guarantee they will be reliable but they do last longer than belts.

so in brief chains are better and belts are good if preventative maintenance is done correctly

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back