VW Golf Mk5 1.9 TDi arriving next Wednesday!

SonofKrypton

Wrench Pro
Car
VW Golf Mk5 1.9TDi
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum.

After much research, I have finally purchased a 2008 VW Golf Mk5 5 door TDi Match from a SEAT dealer on Pride Park, Derby. It has been very well looked after I must say and the interior is immaculate, not even scratches around the electric window switches etc. There were some scratches on the outside and a couple of kerb marks on the front wheels but that will all be done by the dealer before collection.

VW service history with full paperwork for each one and the dealer will service it using OEM parts (naturally) before I collect. Its only done 61k miles which is low indeed for 2008. It drove so well and was very comfortable - Coming from a Fiesta ST it feels like a limo |B 3 month warranty thrown in which is fine for an 8 year old car but consumer law is something I have expertise in for further peace of mind.

Here is my burning question though: I don't do supermarket fuel so I use Shell as a rule (just up the road). I don't mind the extra cost of V-Power diesel and I don't expect performance or MPG gains but is V-Power going to be better for the engine? Make things smoother perhaps? Or is normal Shell diesel just as good really?

Sweet. PD engines are pretty bulletproof if they are serviced regular.

I always ran the Focus on BP diesel.

Is it the pd110? They remap nicely for some useful extra torque.

1.9 PD I think was 100, 105 and 130 bhp. Definitely use premium fuel, the PD injectors are very sensitive.

Definitely definitely use a VW approved 507.00 oil if your car is DPF equipped. WIthout a DPF you can use 505.01 or 507.00 but note that 505.01 is for fixed drain intervals. Anything else and you will chew up the camshaft in no time.

I like BP's Ultimate Diesel and it does definitely give a bit more mid range shove as well as smoother running in general.

Thanks guys. Its the 105bhp engine but I am unsure about DPF. Its an 08 plate and I am unsure when the DPF first came in but it will cost me £130 for 12 months tax. I live about 1/4 of a mile from the Shell garage so based on what you have said, I am more than happy to be putting V-Power in.

I guess that any oil that needs putting in/changing before I collect will be done to VW recommendations as its a SEAT dealer and they are owned by VW and use the same parts.

I managed to bag RAC cover for roadside, recovery and home for just £80 through work when it should be £110 normally so I am pleased with that. Any particular brand of oil to go for? Castrol perhaps?

**One more thing. The dealer has agreed to give the cambelt a once over and if it needs replacing, that will be done FOC before collection

I'm using the highly memorable by name Fuchs GT1 Pro C3 5w30. It suits the PD Passat perfectly and also previously in my BMW 528i.

Opieoils is a Torque Cars trader member, they have good information and a huge range from which to choose.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice little deal there.

Thanks, looking forward to collection now. I'm going to see what the headlights are like on an unlit lane and if they are too dim, I'll get some OSRAM nightbreakers ordered. I'm also going to invest in a full set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres in due course. £50 per tyre ain't bad for what is being hailed as a game changer tyre.

The Nitebreaker II lamps are good. Used them as dipped beams in my P406 a few years ago. However, there's a new kid on the block by the name of 20Twenty Vision - something like that at least. They are better than Osram's offering in my opinion - they are fitted in the dip enclosures (H7 fitment) in my '06 Passat - the OEM lighting was pathetic. Dangerously so. These do sort things out to the degree that I can see decently. (Don't bother with the blue tinted chav crap, I am sure you know this already.)

With my pre facelift BMW E39 5 series I resorted to HID conversion as the lighting on a dark road was certifiably useless. Even with Nitebreakers fitted it was close to undriveable. Bad marks for BMW in what was otherwise a beautifully engineered and built car which was cheaper to own than the current Passat.

I am curious about the Cross Climate Michelins. Having been using Michelins for nearly 25 years, I bought Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue a few weeks ago. They're very good but are not all season tyres. I'm interested in these Michelins of yours - if you rate them then I will likely order a set next time I need rubber.

Hello, good evening, and welcome to Torque Cars btw :)

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
1.9 Tdi cars generally didn't have DPFs until they were about to be phased out for the 2.0ltr version which was 2008 so only way to find out if your car may have one is get underneath and take a look at exhaust downpipe or get dealer to look themselves.
Cambelt and waterpump need changing every 4 years regardless of mileage.
Also check if car is on a longlife service plan or not as its different oil

Thanks for the further input. I'll have a good read through the VW service paperwork and check everything.

I'll take a look at those lights. As for the tyres, I was converted to winter tyres a few years ago and have seen their abilities first hand. I accepted the drawbacks though and now these cross climates have caught my eye. The first all season tyre to have the snowflake symbol for official winter rating. Getting rave reviews.

I'm not a fan of the extended drain intervals either. I use the 507.00 oil but get it changed every 8,000 - 10,000 miles. Extended drain is a marketing ploy which appeals to fleet buyers.

Well I picked it up yesterday and very pleased with it. All the scratches and wheels were done as promised, new cambelt, serviced, 1 new tyre and MOT done

Its certainly a more rattly diesel being PD as opposed to these more refined CR diesels but once settled to a cruise its perfectly quiet and unobtrusive. Plus PD diesels have less to go wrong on them.

My first VW and I must say the German build quality stands out a mile. Everything just feels so solid and its like a Rolls Royce compared to the ST. Looking forward to many miles of happy motoring.

Not sure how to add photos at the mo. Perhaps photobucket...

Excellent. My mk5 Golf is couple years older than yours and no rattles or bits of trim fallen off. Never had a problem with the PD unit except the darn DPF but a regular can of BG244 cleaner has kept it in check. These engines remap really well btw ;b/

DPFs aren't the root of all evil. If you drive the car sensibly, rather than nursing it then no problems arise. If anything the 1st generation DPFs were better than the current ones.

However, you don't need to worry about this, as your car doesn't have one.

Definitely stick a can of BG244 in next time you fill up. Get it off ebay (use the link here and Obi gets some well-needed kickbacks to keep the site running) for about 15/20 quid.

No, the PDs are not the quietest, but to be honest my C220 sounds like a tractor on idle. Quiet when cruising or accelerating but a bit agricultural on idle. This is perfectly normal, my 57k 2008 sounds the same as my mate's 2013 20k E class with the same engine, apparantly it's kjust the way they sound.

PD engines are good sturdy units.

The later 2.0 PD lumps aren't anywhere near as well regarded as the 1.9 litre units. Mine's had the injector loom replaced due to a potential fire hazard. Oil pump failed which took the turbo with it at 100,000 miles. Thankfully this all happened before I bought the thing. I have had no engine problems but the rest of the car is a disaster. Unreliable and hideously expensive to fix.

Sorry for my late welcome to the site. Good to see another VAG group owner among our ranks. Let us know how you get on with the remaps and generally living with it. I think you'll be pleased the 1.9 is still regarded by many as the finest diesel engine from the VW group.

Thanks for the input. Initial spending has started with minor accessories such as new front wiper blades, led sidelight bulbs and nightbreaker headlight bulbs. A professional valeter who I have used before is coming out early May to do a full "posh wash" with machine polish to eliminate swirls and minor scratches with polish/glaze paint protect finish. I don't have the time or motivation to do it myself lol
Got my dashcam fitted in and the cable duly tucked away or pegged back with the 3M clips and the very first commute to work captured this: