VW Golf Mark II Driver 1.6 1992

jizy

Wrench Pro
I need some help.

I have just brought my Golf and want to start restoring and modding it. It has got a quick shift gear box and decent sound system apart from that its bog standard. I have a set of lowering spring but want to wait until I buy some new wheels before fitting them.

Please could someone point me in the right direction. I am having trouble finding decent performance parts for this model and ideas of what to do.

Cheers,

Hi and a warm welcome to the site. You're wise to wait for new wheel before lowering. The driver if I remember righly looks like a GTi from the front with twin headlights - I remember drooling over one when I was too young to afford one!

The engine is pretty solid - how much time, money and effort are you looking to put into it?

Thanks for reply, i just picked it up today. Its my first motor and I paid £550 for it. Its 1991 not 92. I have the lowering springs come with it. Apart from quick shift gear box and sound system its completely original. Its in very good condition apart from a little rust on rear bumper above exhaust, probably can be cut out when new exhaust fitted.

Used some tips from the forum and got good insurance quote and they are also happy for me to mod the car. Within reason.

I have around £600 to spend on it. But will have more over the summer. Wanted some help on styling it, were to get parts what to get. I have phoned some breakers yards for new window winders and maybe new trim.

Looking to get new wheels and the breaks need attention! Would like discs all round but unsure what I need. Also new exhaust and air filter.

If some one get help, much appreciated.

I'd get as many parts from a Gti as I could and fit those - its an easy way to uprate the brakes, wheels, & handling etc...

You would need all of the GTi brake components including the Servo as you are planning to run disks all round. Vented disks on the front would make quite a difference over standard braking and match these up with some greenstuff pads for the best effect.

There are loads of Styling parts for this model of golf. Do the front and rear bumpers then add some side skirts.