VW golf 1.9 TDI, 56 reg SE

Adam2k7

Car
VW Golf 1.9 tdi
Is it possible to tune and get more power without spending a great deal of money, it has 105bhp @ 4000 rpm and 184 lb ft @ 1900rm

What are the first things to start doing to the car?

I dont have much knowledge at the moment but i'm starting an apprenticeship soon.

So yeah, is there anything i can do to give noticeable changes?

ECU remap will give you stacks of extra torque for three hundred quid or so. It's thie single biggest difference you can effect upon a modern turbo diesel.

Celtic tuning will take it to 155bhp and over 255lbft of torque.

You WILL notice the difference, that I can promise you.

Thanks,

Would this cause any problems in the long term?
And what does an ECU remap actually do ?

Thanks,

Would this cause any problems in the long term?
And what does an ECU remap actually do ?

A sympathetic remap should not cause any problems at all either in the short or long term. What it does is effectively 'take up the slack' built in by car manfacturers. Such 'slack' in used for one or two purposes, by car makers.

Firstly, the makers need to maintain a marketable position for their petrol models. It's embarrasing for them that a diesel 1.9 would out pace a larger engined petrol one.

Secondly - the cars are sold across Europe, or even across the world. Fuel quality is questionable in some regions. The manufacturer has to ensure that the car will remain economic for them to maintain within warranty.

A good ECu remap will work very well.

Firstly, the fuelling will be adjusted according to recorded sense data in the ECU for your car. The purpose of this is to smooth the torque delivery. This alone, can make a car feel livlier. After this, they will look to increase turbo boost pressure, and accompany it with increases in fuel delivery to make use of the available air. Often the maximum diesel fuel rail pressure will be allowed lower down the rev range. THis helps combustion efficiency, a good tuner will not exceed the max rail pressure.

I doubt that you'll encounter any issues at all. Just be aware that if you have your car remapped, thus taking up some of the 'slack' you need to be considerate when driving it.

Don't, for example, boot it brutally from stone cold.

And do accept that it will run hotter than normal. So give it a minute or two to cool off after working it very hard. This applies to any car really. petrol/diesel/ tuned or standard.

A remapped diesel can be a joy to drive, with midrange muscle that you'd never imagine possible this side of a Boxster E.

It is a win win situation, just be a little sympathetic to the engine before taking absolute liberties.

Is it possible to tune and get more power without spending a great deal of money, it has 105bhp @ 4000 rpm and 184 lb ft @ 1900rm

What are the first things to start doing to the car?

I dont have much knowledge at the moment but i'm starting an apprenticeship soon.

So yeah, is there anything i can do to give noticeable changes?

I can put you in touch with someone who can remap very cheap, he did my PD 130 Bora from 130 to 170bhp and to 290lbft - could have been more but the car has done 105k and the clutch is only rated to 300lbft.

Last edited:
Thanks HDi, Where did you learn m8? think ill have to get that done.

Yugguy where is he based?

Celtic Tuning, Newquay, North Cornwall did mine. They offer a mobile service throughout the UK and send your car's OEM map back to base using GSM technology so that the it can be read, interpreted and altered directly.

if your in the midlands area i'd recomend P-Torque in wovlerhamton thats who done mine does loads of VAG cars and crackin price too. £265.00 with before & after runs on his rolling road.
just my 2p worth

A good remap is worth having with any modern diesel. Not that they are slow anyway, but the immense torque afterwards is very enjoyable.

It's worthwhile ensuring that the tuner does keep the car specific data intact just incase you encounter a dealer who's likely to grass you up.

Most won't - it's not in their interests to do so.

Make sure whoever does your remap gives you a warranty on the map itself. we do on ours, 7 money back guarantee and a lifetime warranty on map itself. you wont be dissapointed with a good remap. :)

steve

link removed as per t&c commercial site