VW Garages

Se7eN

Wrench Pro
I don't know if I'm in the right place for this kind of post but I would like a second opinion.

So here goes

Im currently saving the ££ to either do something a bit special with my 2.0 8v mk4 shopping trolley, or change cars maybe something japanese, I have already posted about the project in the forum any comments of suggestions would be apprechiated. Any way Im off topic.

I recently took my bog standard 2.0 8v golf into a VW garage for a 40k mile service dropped it off at the garage in the moring. About half-way through the day i get a call. I was pleased because I thought that they had completed the service for me and I could pick up my car about lunch time, having previously been told it might take all day.

What I was told next concerned me but was not a big deal apparently the front and rear brake pads needed replaced. I know that the minimum thickness is 7.0mm front and 7.5mm rear. The car had recently been MOT'd (nov 07) by the same garage with the only comment being passed that the two front tyres would need replaced or rotated soon. So why not mention the brake pads then as well?

What I was told next did not please me they said that the front brake discs should be replaced and the rear brake discs and a centre exhaust bracket was broken and it might need a mass air meter replaced or maybe a lambda probe but they're not sure which. On a car that has done 40k miles of which I have driven 12k miles which previously had been sat on their forecourt and was sold as an used approved vehicle which had gone through a twenty million point VW extra guranteed VW check by VW engineers blah blah blah. Also they wanted to charge me £900 just for the work on the brakes!!!

Maybe your thinking who the hell let this guy in.... he's trashed his car in less than the average yearly mileage.

This car hasn't disappeared down a drag strip in a squeal of tyre smoke (if such a thing is possible for 115 mighty stallions) I havn't raced it round the nurburg ring or entered it into a rally time trial against tommi makkenin and his EVO IX. Neither has it been drifted down a tokyo back road at midnight with full on tyre squealing opposite lock.

Its been to and from work in slow commuter traffic, barely been on the motorway, and at weekends occasionally loaded up with a mountain bike and driven to a mountain bike trail. Not exactly high octane stuff.

So I tell them just to do the service and nothing else.

Upon my arrival Im also told it needs a new clutch and oh yeah and the wiper blades have been replaced we've added it to your bill. ????

When asked:

Why why VW why wasn't some of this pointed out at the MOT?

The reply:

We don't know

The clutch seems fine to me bite point hasn't shifted since the day I picked the car up. The old wipers worked fine when it rained on Monday and the brakes feel strong and progressive. There are no warning lights showing on the dash (ECU light will come on if a sensor is damaged) exhaust does not rattle (although thats fairly easy for me to check anyway) and Disk rotors normally changed about 70k miles. Please feel free to correct me if any of this is mis-informed. Although I am aware an MOT is not the same as a service check up and somethings will not be covered in the MOT, the brakes however should have been.

So what I'm asking is why do they think I was born yesterday and what would be the best way to go about making sure this BS does not happen again.

Im getting a garage I know locally to quote me for new brake pads as VW quoted £210 to replace front and rear.

any comments please....

Sorry this has been so long winded, it was either this or drop kick the neighbours cat over the house as its done its business on my newly clean car.:evil::evil::evil:

Also Ive tried to post a couple of times but it seems my log in is timing out and my post is not appearing. If this is not the case Im apologising in advance for any multiple posts

think this is more the garage maybe trying to make a quick one.

i put the honda into the garage with 62k on the clock and the service cost me just under 200 along with a lovely form telling me brakes exhaust bushes tyres cv joints were all knackered. best one being the bushes would pass the mot this time but they wouldnt last more than 2000 miles more sold the car with 98k on the clock and they still hadnt been changed.

doing the brakes yourself could save you a bit although the rear calipers need rotated as there pushed back in. ( according to a haynes manual this can be done using a pair of circlips pliers and a g clamp). the discs are easy enough changed as its only a screw that hold them in place i think. to check if there worn take the wheel of and have a feel. if you can feel a ridge ridge then the discs are worn otherwise they are fine

i think the brakes are only checked for grip at an mot and not the thickness

Garages have a duty of care - if you car broke down you would not be happy so they feel they have to point out every little thing. Sadly though some garages do try to take advantage, it helps if you give the impression you know what you are talking about and use as much technical jargon as possible. Getting a second opinion will help - ignore anything not recommended a second time.

You really need to find a garage you trust and there are some nice indepently owned garages around that fit this bill. Become a regular customer and they will start to treat you differently. Leave some mars bars on the seat for the lads and they will start to really like you...;)

Thanks for your replies.

After I posted this I told numerous people about what had happened and the consensus was that £900 for pads and discs was a bit off. I also checked various parts websites to try and get a feel for prices which was incredibly useful.

I had the front and rear pads replaced at a local garage for £148 all in as opposed to £210 at VW, I also asked them to check disk rotors. The result was that they should need replacing the next time the pads were changed but were average for the age and mileage of the car.

This was actually my conclusion when I looked at the brakes myself before I went and got a quote.

I suppose the moral of the story is when in doubt get a second opinion.

That is probably the second most shocking thing I've ever seen.

Although thinking about some of the things I know about the major dealerships in my area I shouldn't be as shocked.

For example I'd never take a BMW to be serviced at a certain BMW garage. I was trundling round town on my 636 and I go up a side road to cut out a busy junction (I hate some junctions on the bike) when I come across a BMW 3 coupe doing doughnuts in the middle of the road. Two lads on-board the driver looks at me says "what the **** you lookin' at" then speeds off down the road. The BMW gets caught behind a slower driver then makes a turn into the BMW garage at the end of the road. As I'm waiting at the traffic lights by the garage I'm looking at the car and two lads with the BMW logo stitched onto their overalls step out of the car laughing!

What a joke, this is probably someone's pride and joy they've spent 20-30k plus on and the employees are taking it for a joy ride probably during lunch break!

yip that happens at a lot of garages
ma bro in law MGTF was "lost" by the same garage twice
1st time he was told straight that they didnt know where it was. the second he went to pick it up and it wasnt there

Thats why I want a remapped ECU with a VALET switch on it. Once I got overtaken by my car which I'd left at a garage for an MOT?!?!? Is the road test part of an MOT?

Thats why I want a remapped ECU with a VALET switch on it. Once I got overtaken by my car which I'd left at a garage for an MOT?!?!? Is the road test part of an MOT?

ERK, knobs aint they?

My friend works at BlueBell, nearby me, for BMW. They take out the cars for "test runs" down the bypass. Its stupid, frankly, they rag the arse off it up and down, no doubt when the engines still cold.

If it was my car, I'd go mad.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back