VW Engine help

Smurf

Car
Kia
Hi there my name is chris and i am hoping somebody can help me, I have been given a vw engine to restore for a friend and i dont know anything about it no history or chassis number just the engine.
(the engine is for a trike)

It is an air cooled flat four, I think it is a 1600 cc its engine number (on
the engine case right hand side above the pully wheel below the Gen pedestal) : AB 351438.

Could anybody please tell me the year (about) and size (1300/1600).

I have checked the engine number sections on the internet but most don't have the AB in the list and those that do say it is a 1300 engine

Thank you

Chris

DSCF3946.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have an interesting puzzle there. I'm sorry I can't shed any light on it for you.

I also fixed your image link, and your post was held in the moderation queue as you have less that 10 posts.

What are your plans for the engine? If you are stripping it can you not just measure the cylinders?

Hi there, thank you for your help,
Yes this is a puzzle ?
I have looked at the Engine codes which told me i could be looking at a 1300cc, BUt it has Dual-Relief valves on the bottom and it has the larger D-shaped passage on the generator mount.
I was wondering if it could be a replacement case "AB / 66-79 / 1600 / built since 73 in Mexico" - The engine cases do not have "Made In Mexico" or "Made in Brazil" stamped on them, it does have the letters "WG" stamped on the rear of the case in the top left hand corner where the distributor housing is !! ....I shall just keep hunting and reading....I love a good challenge....
Thank You...Chris

Hi waynne, you mentioned measuring the cylinders, could you possibly tell me what is the size of the 1300 & 1600 and maybe the size of the pistons, the pistons that i have just taken out measure 77mm across the top which i think are 1300 cc.....Cheers.....Chris

Hi there Waynne, thanks for your help but i think i have got it sorted, they brought out a 1300 cc 40hp with an engine code FO then they up-graded the engine to a 44hp and changed the code to AB, on my list of engine codes there isn't any AB engine codes for a 1300cc except for the aftermarket AB 1600cc.
Now i have measured the piston - 77mm and the gudgeon pin - 22mm and these are a 1300cc engine -- so it is now up to the owner of the engine on what he wants to do.
So once again thank you all for your help........Chris.

Glad you sorted it Chris. Thanks for posting up the answer, now if anyone else needs to know they won't have far to look.

If the block is a 1300 you can up-rate it to 1641 without any machining
I have three VW's all air cooled, been into them for the past 14 years
If I can help I will but I'm not that good at explaining stuff, can't get the words out, you know.

Robb