VW Bora new wheels, which lowering spring?

brownd95

Car
VW BORA 1.6 16V
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help.

Ive got a vw bora 1.6 16v x reg 5 door silver.

Just bought some new wheels. 225/40/18s.

Ive got a rpoblem regarding the gap between arch and tyre.

the gap at the front of the car is acceptable, but at the back its massive.

ive contacted a midlands vw who say they can lower the car 40mm all around.

This sounds great but im worried will the tyres catch the arches on the front. the tyres dont stick out but are flush with the arch. would it rub if lowered 40mm???

please help,

cheers.

dave:D

The overall rolling diameter of your new wheels is almost identical to the original tyre size for the Bora, however they are marginally bigger, but not much.

You can get 40mm lowering springs which will fit the standard shocks, such as these - Apex 40mm lowering springs - Bora

If worst came to worst, and they did catch, you would either have to fit different tyres, or get the arches rolled ;)

Yeah, that would work.

In all honesty if I was going to lower the car, I'd fit decent shockers too.

I have a set of Spax 30mm lowering springs and adjustable shocks to go on my Probe when she's ready to go back together :D

Doing that should help avoid any rubbing.

Thanks guys,

Thats just the thing i dont want to go too low because the tyre may catch on arch.

But i feel 40mm would make my motor look the bees knees.

thanks

i wish i could get the springs fitted then have them rolled after, but this isnt going to be the case im worried cos i wont be able to move the car....:(

40mm is a big drop. I think it might look a bit overdone to be honest. It'll certainly make the ride very harsh and probably also completely mess up the handling.

Don't forget, the lower you go, the harsher the ride, and the more issues you could have with the ever increasing numbers of speed bumps.

Saying that, I think it would look pretty good lowered 40mm.

I did a quick search for 'bora 40mm lowering springs' on Google and there's loads come up which say they'll happily fit the factory shockers, although I take it they're assuming standard sized wheels, so going by that I'd have to say it would probably be ok.

Can't be definite as your alloy/tyre combination is marginally bigger in overall diameter, but not by much.

If you don't want to spend too much look for a JOM kit, I have them on my bora, they lower by 30 and are firm but but not bone-shakingly hard.

i know what you mean by the rear arches. dont remove your spare tyre it comes up even further ;)

40mm isnt much of a drop on the bora.
im still looking the same as yugguy and looking at 30mm drop if i even get round to doing mine.
anything more than 40mm and you may have issues with the front anti roll bar
you have 2 options here.

remove the bar - plenty have done this without issue, tbh the 1.6 isnt exactly powerful for the weight of the bloody thing, wife has the 1.6 golf and the bora is slightly heavier.

get an aftermarket bar with larger hoops

Eibach do good springs if you just want lowering springs. Although I wouldn't recommend a major drop on just the springs. I quite like Yugguy's suggestion of JOM coilovers. I've heard good things about them from the VW guys.

If it helps, my old Honda Civic was lowered 110mm on coilovers (with rolled arches) and nothing caught.

DSCF0416.jpg

Yugguy's suggestion of JOM coilovers. I've heard good things about them from the VW guys.

have you heard about the bad things with them ? changing the tubes after 6 months because they squeaking like mad. you can get them for £160 with 2 year warranty but the amount of folk that complain about them ive no idea how they make money.

to lower the bora that far your passed even rolled arches. its chassis notches

have you heard about the bad things with them ? changing the tubes after 6 months because they squeaking like mad. you can get them for £160 with 2 year warranty but the amount of folk that complain about them ive no idea how they make money.

to lower the bora that far your passed even rolled arches. its chassis notches

I haven't until now. But I would assume the problems are the same as any other eBay special. You get what you pay for.

thats pretty much it. the are well recommended on various vw forums because they are cheap and give big drops, off the top of my head i think they go down 80mm. but there is alot of complaints about the squeaking

thats pretty much it. the are well recommended on various vw forums because they are cheap and give big drops, off the top of my head i think they go down 80mm. but there is alot of complaints about the squeaking

Spax coilovers squeek as well and they cost around 3 times as much!